Portal 2 faces backlash over paid DLC, short campaign

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With a Metascore of 95 based on 19 professional reviews, it would be an understatement to say Portal 2 was met with overwhelming praise when it launched this Tuesday. Of those 19 critics, all rated the game above 90 out of 100 and many of them described the sequel as a "masterpiece." Eurogamer in specific said Portal 2 is beyond perfect, scoring the game 100 out of 100.

Despite its universal acclaim among critics, gamers seem less convinced about the title's success. As of writing, approximately one third of Metacritic users have given the game a "mixed" or "negative" review, lowering the overall user score to 7.5 out of 10 for PC. Interestingly, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions are currently faring just as poorly at 6.9.

Most of the anger seems to be directed at Portal 2's virtual store. Like Team Fortress 2, Portal 2 lets you purchase in-game cosmetics such as gestures, hats and skins for co-op characters. There's reportedly $80 worth of downloadable customizations and although they don't affect actual gameplay, players are disappointed in Valve for the blatant nickel and diming.

The developer is also catching flack over its Portal 2-themed alternate reality game. The ARG concluded by having participants purchase and play indie games on Steam in exchange for having Portal 2 released early. Despite a large community effort, the game was only released a few hours ahead of schedule. One user called the ARG a "money-grubbing viral marketing campaign."

Besides the virtual store and questionable marketing, some users are ticked over the game's relatively brief campaign. The single-player portion seems to take between five and eight hours depending on quickly you solve the puzzles, while the multiplayer lasts about three to six hours. That's admittedly toward the short side of things considering the game's full retail price.

Although the first Portal was criticized for being short, most fans overlooked the game's length because it was considered a freebie alongside HL2: E2 and TF2 in The Orange Box. The concept of using portals was also new to most players at the time, whereas some fans of the original say they cruised through Portal 2 because Valve has rehashed many of the puzzles and challenges.

We've also seen angry comments by PC gamers who say Portal 2 is a console port. Apparently, Valve slipped up and left a small console-related message when the PC version is saving: "Saving Game… Please don't turn off your console." Although this is a bit sloppy, we think PC gamers often use the phrase "console port" a little too loosely and it seems unjustified here.

From our perspective, some disgruntled gamers have a fair argument. Valve's marketing strategy and virtual store feel tacky to us and we agree that Portal 2's single-player experience is shorter than expected. However, we get the vibe that most negative user reviews are out for blood instead of offering a balanced summary. Do you feel like you got your money's worth?

Permalink to story.

Moneys worth? IDK, it doesnt feel like 60 bucks but if you pay attention to the fine details and the hard work they put in to all of the story and level around you then it will seem better. It is also the most fun i have had in a video game in a long time, I can only think of cod4 private matches and GTAIV free mode. so while it doesnt appear to be the best game of all time just go back through and take a deeper look at it.

I've only played a couple hours into it, but the "loading" screen is pissing me off already. For a $45 game PC game, it should utilize PC's memory superiority and load much less than a console. I'm pretty disappointed in it overall, only because the price doesn't match the product. It should be a $20 game.

the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions are currently faring just as poorly at 6.9

Thats because your console overall gameplay flow sux :p

Personally i had been watching some videos of portal 2 and i cant wait to get my next payment to buy it.

There is no doubt about it, Portal 2 was made for the consoles than ported to PC. On that note, it doesn't really matter because portal was never meant to be it's own game. Portal 1 was free and that's why I played it otherwise I wouldn't have. Portal 2 looks interesting but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it if even and that was before the reviews of it. $60 for this game is a rip-off plain and simple and those who paid only make these companies realize they can get away with it, thanks 360 gamers for making $60 default *thumbs down*

You forgot to mention the thousands of PC gamers who cannot play the game due to a mulitude of crashes and bugs. A quick browse on the steam forum for Portal 2 reveals many disgruntled fans....

at least they aren't 70 dollars by 'default', here's looking at you PS3. Why does nobody remember that the PS3 was overpriced on both console and game side?

Anyways, not gonna pay anything for a game that doesn't at least give me half of what I bought. I expect 30 minutes of gameplay per every dollar spent. If the game costs less than that... SCHWEET I got my moneys worth. I dont think this would be a kind of game that Multiplayer really adds any extra time to being played.

Add some easter eggs, make something 'hardcore', super star secret levels or something, races.

Look around, whiny gamers who want a million hours of gameplay and don't want to pay for it - you are why everyone is abandoning the PC as a dev platform.

You might as well promise to pirate everything for all the damage you've already caused yourselves.

Such amazingly entitled attitudes. It boggles the mind.

Also, I would like to note the "backlash" is largely in the minds of people who write stories for little blogs like this. In the real world, Portal 2 is selling like gangbusters, nearly universally praised, and will probably end up GOTY even though it came out in April.

i think it was worth the $45 and waiting to the last second of the count down to play whit my friend it even tho all togetter it took 9 hour to finish single and coop i still think they did a good job, they mit even add some more chambers to the coop whit the DLC and compare to the frist even whit about 6 of the orgiale portal chambers there are almost 8 x more than in the first plus there alot more to look for when achvement hunting

who said anything about pirating? If a game was good, props, if a game was bad and I paid more than I thought I should have... no props. My money and leisure is more important than filling money hungry business-mens' pockets. A game like portal is good on gameplay and mechanics, but today, we must expect more. I doubt if anything pirating is 'hurting' PC game sales at all comparatively to console. Crack it, hack it, Mod it, what have you. Really hurting the PC? Its expandability and SO many configurations.

Guest said:
Also, I would like to note the "backlash" is largely in the minds of people who write stories for little blogs like this.

Hey bro. I want on the payroll to troll sites like this with my paid corporate bias. Where do I send my resume? Troll.

This is precisely the reason for not pre-ordering games, and not buying them on the release date, unless you have a huge need to share your gameplay experience with others. Considering that these days you can have the feedback of a 100,000 users within 8 hours of a game's release, its always good to wait a bit to make sure there are no glaring problems.

I've been to 4 non game sites so far where I've learned all I need to know about this game. A lot of fun, kinda short for a puzzle game, console port thing is overhyped, and DLCs are par for the course "hatware" from Valve, and people are pissed off about the potato sack scam which only made the game come out a few hours sooner. No spoilers, nothing that would detract from my game experience if I chose to order the game right now.

And Guest above me, go back to your Xbox. If we want to sit here and reminisce about the good old days when PC games were good, not buggy, and a good value, we can. Its not entitlement, its called perspective. If you bought a car 10 years ago for $20,000 and it got 30 miles to the gallon, why would I not complain about spending $40,000 now and getting 10 miles to the gallon?

GOTY? I highly doubt it. If it does its because the complete refusal to admit that valve is now joining the ranks of the money hungry developers such as Activision. They are no longer the true Gamers development studio. Just another trying to squeeze every last dollar out of anyone they can.

O wait but look what valve lead devs have said in the past
http://www.destructoid.com/valve-doesn-t-want-to-nickel-and-dime-you-31677.phtml

"You buy the product, you get the content," Valve's Robin Walker informed Eurogamer. Reassuring news I suppose, but one would assume Valve's merely trying to make themselves look really good next to the console market's love of anally abusing its customers. Somewhat like the clever boy in class who swiftly answers a question that his classmate failed, so he appears smart until that same classmate drowns him in the toilet at lunchtime.

"We make more money because more people buy it, not because we try and nickel-and-dime the same customers." But enough about that, how did you get that freakin' valve in the bald dude's head!?

O wait how about the fact that CONSOLES get 8 FREE unlockable gestures and the PC get NONE.
http://kotaku.com/#!5793543/the-people-are-panning-portal-2

Keep on believing that Valve is still the Mother Teresa of the gaming industry and before you know it you will have COD style DLC's forced down your throat for bugged out game.

I just beat Portal 2 and loved it! Yes, Valve is better than making so much DLC so quickly, but the purchases don't do anything. They aren't levels or anything important. I would say the game is worth 50 to 60 dollars. The co-op is also a lot of fun with friends. Portal 2 is easily just as good as the first. They made a few slip ups but still a fantastic game in my mind.

Guest said:
I just beat Portal 2 and loved it! Yes, Valve is better than making so much DLC so quickly, but the purchases don't do anything. They aren't levels or anything important. I would say the game is worth 50 to 60 dollars. The co-op is also a lot of fun with friends. Portal 2 is easily just as good as the first. They made a few slip ups but still a fantastic game in my mind.

Guest just farted roses. *Sniffffff* Ahhh, that made everything so much better. Thanks.

Yeah, he's a roll and paid by corporations because he doesn't agree with you. I'm gonna start pretending I think everyone who says negative things are paid by competing companies to trash games just to counteract you giant tools.

Check with anyone who's actually playing the game and isn't out trolling Metacritic or Steam, they're loving it. Everyone I know who's playing it is loving it. EVERYONE WHO KNOWS SH*T ABOUT GAMES IS LOVING IT. Best critical review scores of the year, period. Deal with it you trolling little pile of garbage.

I love it... Yea, I already beat the game and got the achievements (which BTW grant you two free items { beanie and heart flag]) in 8.2 hours play time, but it was fun. The humor, the puzzles, the story.. all great! The money for non-game breaking "upgrades"... well, that's not going anywhere anytime soon and I expect it will be in all future Valve games, probably cause they've made millions on the TF2 store.

Personally, I don't see any issue.

---Store/DLC: You're not forced to buy it, it does nothing to change the gameplay, Valve will surely give actual DLC/expansions for free to the PC crowd, as they always do. No biggie here, at least for me, and I really don't see why it should bother anyone (but that's just me).

---Length: It's been reported for months that the singleplayer length of the game would be about twice the length as the first game, which would make it around 6 to 8 hours. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone who has read any preview article. On top of that, there's the co-op play, which was also said to add an addition 3 to 5 hours. Again, no surprise.

Anyone who was following the game even a tiny bit shouldn't kick up any fuss as they should've already known what was in store.

Compared to some games, $50 is a little steep for Portal 2 due to length, but I knew what I was in for. Don't like it, do your research next time. It's Pre-Order 101 to find out if it's worth it, don't go in blindly even if you love Valve so much. They're my favorite company, but I followed the game, I knew the general length, I have no regrets. I got what I was expected.

---Console message: Many pieces of games are developed with the same files across all platforms. They slipped and left what was probably a tiny file included in the PC version. It's easy to overlook, especially if they made it so all they would have to do is remove it to get rid of the message without breaking anything.

---ARG: No one was forced to participate. It's not like Valve threatened to not release Portal 2 if we didn't participate. Valve has always given tons of support to indie developers while other companies treat them poorly (Super Meat Boy creator talked in an interview about how Microsoft shafted him) or give them no attention at all. The ARG was meant to get us excited for Portal 2, find out a bit more about the story behind it and give some love to indie developers. What is there to complain about? Every other company delays games, what's wrong with at least being given a chance to get one early?

I dunno, just my feelings about it.

It seems unreasonable to complain about the length. Does a 1 hour movie cost half the price of a 2 hour movie? Is a really long book better than a short one? If they would have added 75 difficult "test chambers" then it would have been a much longer game, but it would have frustrated the average player by wasting their time and it would have made the story drag on unnecessarily. Portal 2 is brilliantly paced and not one second longer, or shorter, than it should be.

The ARG was a waste of time, and day 1 DLC is a shady move, but both of those are intended to be "extras" (for people who want to waste their time and/or money)... In other words, they have nothing to do with the game itself.

I'll wait until Portal 2 goes on 'special' months down the track and nab it from the virtual "bargain bin". Yet another FPS style game with a short campaign. It seems to take half a decade for developers to catch the needs of gamers. Long Story Driven Campaigns + Brilliant Multiplayer... how hard is this to get? Let's hope Duke Nukem Forever's campaign is as long as its original releases.

This sequel was awesome better than I expected it to be. Valve has been awesome with it's products in the past present and I'm sure the future. I can't wait to see how the Half-Life series intertwines with the Portal series!

PS: Master Piece is perfect to describe this game. Simply Amazing, Simply Valve! Keep the great work!

over all, I thought this was a really well crafted game with some mind boggling puzzles. The campaign might have been a bit short but i knew this might be the case so i paced my self going through the game. The way i see it is, this game is a peace of art, it not something to be rushed. While my friends ran a head and finished it on the day felling happy about completing it, but soon after they felt a little short changed due to them finishing it so soon. While my self felt happy about completing it and quite satisfied because i took the time and didn't finish it on the day.

The co-op campaign was quite fun and really enjoyable, but seeing as i've played the co-op around 3-4 times now with different friends i hasn't really lost it's replay value for me.

A Stunning game .

Back