Possable virus in a powerpoint file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Today I downloaded a small powerpoint file for school .
After i opened it , it showed me the pages as it should be , but a few seconds later my pc started to shutdown and restart. Now I'm having a blue screen which tells me that I have a unreparable problem with my winlogon.

So atm im suspecting that powerpoint file for this.
But I can't be sure about that cause I can't find a way to open anything on my pc, so if anyone knows how to do something about this , please help me :)

(restarting go's till loading screen, after that the blue screen appears.
I'm using a windows XP home edition.
I can enter the F1 menu,DEL menu and TAB menu.
If you need any other info please let me know )

Well, the information you've given is a bit vague to start troubleshooting. Try the following:

1. Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: Just choose Safe Mode- NOT Safe Mode w/Networking:

1. If you downloaded the files to your desktop: do a right click> scan with your AV program.
2. If it's not on the desktop: use Windows Explorer to browse to the location, such as My Documents, if there> find the file> do the right click> scan with the AV.

NOTE: you do the scanning on the closed file, so don't do either a double-click or right click> Open.

Now I'm having a blue screen which tells me that I have a unreparable problem with my winlogon.

Look in the Event Viewer for the Error that corresponds to the time of this message:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
[1]. Click to open the log>
[2]. Look for the Error>
[3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
[4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
[5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
[6].NOTES
  • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on message.

NOTE: You may see Error reporting during the time you are in Safe Mode. These are NOT what you want. Some drivers and Services will be reporting that they can't start- that's 'normal' in Safe Mode. So you want the Error for the time you were in Normal Mode when you got the logon error.

Let us know results of 1,2, and 3.

Remember> you are just using Safe Mode to get into the system- you aren't reporting anything that happens in Safe Mode!

Well, the information you've given is a bit vague to start troubleshooting. Try the following:

1. Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: Just choose Safe Mode- NOT Safe Mode w/Networking:

1. If you downloaded the files to your desktop: do a right click> scan with your AV program.
2. If it's not on the desktop: use Windows Explorer to browse to the location, such as My Documents, if there> find the file> do the right click> scan with the AV.

NOTE: you do the scanning on the closed file, so don't do either a double-click or right click> Open.

Look in the Event Viewer for the Error that corresponds to the time of this message:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
[1]. Click to open the log>
[2]. Look for the Error>
[3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
[4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
[5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
[6].NOTES
  • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on message.

NOTE: You may see Error reporting during the time you are in Safe Mode. These are NOT what you want. Some drivers and Services will be reporting that they can't start- that's 'normal' in Safe Mode. So you want the Error for the time you were in Normal Mode when you got the logon error.

Let us know results of 1,2, and 3.

Remember> you are just using Safe Mode to get into the system- you aren't reporting anything that happens in Safe Mode!

I've already tried opening in safe mode , but it gives me the same blue screen.
Winlogon is damaged which means (for as far I've seen on the inet) that I can't start up windows.

For the future, it isn't necessary to quote the entire reply.

Sounds like you will need to do either a repair-if you have the disc and can boot from the setup-or a complete reinstall- which would also require the CD.

Boot to the BIOS and change the boot order to CD first, hard drive second. Save and exit. Insert the CD, see if you can boot from the setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back