Possessed Computer - Almost shuts down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having a lot of issues with my computer, and I'm not sure what's causing it. It was originally a Gateway, but I've upgraded many of the components since I bought it a couple years ago.

Here's the problem: The monitor will lose signal as though the computer has turned off. The tower itself still has the power button lit, but doesn't respond to anything. The CDRW drive light turns solid green, none of the drives will open. The only way out at this point is to hold down the power button for 3-5 seconds to turn it off. I have to wait several minutes before I can turn it back on; otherwise, the fans start going, the power button lights, and the CDRW drive light is on again. If I let it sit for a few minutes it will usually boot up like normal.

This seems to happen primarily when burning a DVD or playing a game, but it's happened a few times for no apparent reason (turning off screensaver, opening a document or smaller program, etc).

I've downloaded EVEREST home edition, and the temperatures look fine (range from 40-50 C). The CPU fan is running normally (between 5500-5600 RPM). It's a little noisier than it used to be, but since the temps aren't going high (even right before a crash) I tend to doubt that's the problem. I know my memory is pitiful, and my CPU is junk, but I don't know if either of them would cause such issues. I can't really afford to upgrade everything to troubleshoot it, so I thought I would post here first to see if anyone else knows what it could be.

Oh, and here are my system specs:

Processor:
AMD Athlon-PECM, 1200 MHz (12 x 100)
Motherboard:
Unknown
Memory:
384 MB (SDRAM)
Videocard:
nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Soundcard/Speakers:
VIA AC'97 Audio Controller
Hard Disk(s):
ST380013A (80GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100); ST320410A (20GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Other Drives:
Sony DVD RW DRU-530A, Verbatim CDRW 321240 AL
Case:
Gateway

More Power!!!

It sounds like it is your power supply to me. This is comon in Gatway systems, I would put 100 Tim Bits on a bet that this started with-in 90 days of one of your upgrades. I would get it checked and replaced if that is the case buy a power puppy that is 100 to 150 Watts more then what you have, if the price is right even go more it sounds to me like you are learning alot about computers and you should get your next tower built or better yet buy an A+ cert book and build it yourself use this new power suppliy in the next system you build... PS Gateway is realy not the best sysem out there for upgrading.:monkey:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back