Possible fix for Audigy 'Squeal of Death'

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubjonny

I have been suffering from the Audigy 'Squeal of Death' for some time now, and I believe I have found a solution. I
have found that if Register 70, bit 2 (PCI Master Read Caching) is set to 1 I get the SOD, and as soon as I switch it
off, my problems are
resolved.

My system:

Athlon 1GHz AXIA @ 1.4GHz
IWill KK266- R (Via KT133A chipset)
Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600
1GB of RAM
HDD on AMIMegaRAID controller (Configed as standalone)
SB Audigy

squeal of death audigy cards (nx)

To my mind, the SOD is caused by any number of things - and is just an indication of a catastrophic failure of the card.

Well.. I managed to fix my squeal of death. I have an audigy 2 NX card (ie, USB) and I was getting this problem mostly with 5.1/7.1 or EAX, sometimes at 96Khz/24bit - and more frequently in games than on the desktop.

Incidentally I also have a "cyberbox" used for a VOIP gateway, on USB and it is NOT compatible with the Audigy 2 NX - a sure-fire way of getting a SOD.

The problem was resolved by installing a new Power supply. SO if you have this problem have a look at the +5 voltage and see if it's a bit low. Mine is now 5.2 volts and the problem is well and truely gone (depending on your motherboard/PSU this may also be tweakable). I've also heard reports that the power supply of the NX itself is a bit dodgy and you might want to check on that too.

my gfx card and cpu also perform better and overclock better.

Anyway, just in the hope it helps someone.

LMAO, He said he bought a new PSU ,,, Theres nothing you can do to PSU's except maybe change the FAN ; or switch it to EURO ,, and watch your system blow up ! ,

How does this squeal of death sound anyway ? Man Creative is known for their sound card crackles, stutter, watever u wanna call it, This is due dat the mobo does not like the creative, You can however make tweaks in BIOS or in software to get rid of the hickup stutter, crackle !

Now back to the question @ hand, How does a squeal of death sound ? Man this thread is funny as hell ! Can you record it for us soo we can hear it ?
gl buddz,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back