Possible Hard Drive Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Western Digital 250GB HD and controller card. My computer is a Dell Dimensin 4550 from 2003. I've had this for 2yrs now and everything has been fine until I guess sometime last night. I was out and my computer was shutdown however we suffered a power outage at my house. When I came home to day and booted up my computer I got this message:

ultra100TX2 BIOS is not installed because there are no drives attatched

I have tried using different cables, placing the controller card in a different pci slot but I always get that message. Does anyone know what the problem is? Is it possible to save my hard drive because I had a lot of stuff on it?

I tried to connect the hard drive straight to my motherboard and bypass the controller card. When I did this the Dell Bios recognized the HD when I went into bios, however it then gave me a disk read error and said I had to reboot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

try loaded the controller drivers again
if that does not work
reset bios to optimum defaults try again
make sure the hdd is set to master if it is the master
check for bios upgrades for that size hdd

My brother also has a Western Digital HD. His is 120GB. I wanted to see if there was a problem with the controller card so I connected his hard drive in place of mine. On the initial boot it will give me that same error message about no drives attached. However if I press ctrl,alt,del after getting that message and restart the computer then the controller card reads the 120GB HD fine but doesn't recognize the 250GB one.

its a 137gb threshold
check bios again for upgrades
did you look for upgrade for the controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back