Possible Motherboard Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacchus451

Hey, thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a computer that turns on, doesn't POST one way or the other, and doesn't end up displaying anything on the screen. I know the RAM isn't bad and neither is the video card. Any ideas of what could be wrong?

Thanks.

Hi,If you could list the specs of the copmuter and if you built it or if its OEM (dell, gateway, hp)
Now Before you go any farther you should try clearing BIOS, done by a jumper or by removing the battery for a day,
Does your computer have on board video if so plug your monitor into that and try it, also when you start up do you hear a beep or does the keyboards lights work?

If that doesn't work try a new power supply and give it a shot\

Good luck

What are your specs?

Does the CPU fan spin up at all?

Does the CPU fan flutter?

Does the hard drive spin up at all?

Do the PSU fans spin up?

Is there another computer around, something you could test your PSU in?

Sorry about the terrible post.

Specs of the computer are as follows (Approximately, I didn't build this one);
AMD Athlon64 3000-ish
1Gb pny PC3200 RAM
300gb Maxtor Sata HD

It had an old 64mb MX440 video card in it, I replaced that with a FX5500 that I knew was operational and it still didn't work. I haven't tried a new PSU yet as per that's a lot of work and it's hard for me to be motivated to fix someone else's computer, If it was mine I'd be all over it :p

The CPU fan spins fine, no fluttering at all.

The Hard Drive sounds like it starts up, but I didn't actually check. I will today.

The PSU fans spin fine. Whoever built this computer put 5 80mm fans in it in different places, they're unplugged now but when they are plugged in they spin correctly.

The keyboard does light up when I turn it on, although there are no beeps at all even though when it was brought to me the person said they heard 3 distinct beeps before it shut itself off. Now it will stay on indefinitely, but no beeps.

Sorry, hopefully this post will better enlighten you guys.

I'm getting the feeling its a bad power supply, perhaps only cranking out a trickle of juice? The last toasty motherboard I worked with I remember the fans not spinning up at all, but i'm not totally sure.

3 distinct beeps... I fried a Celeron once and it beeped rapidly at me until it melted and shut off, perhaps that it?

Not totally sure on this one. I'd test the power supply.

i agree test the psu in a working system or try another psu in that system and post back with the results

Alright thanks again for the help. I tested a working PSU and the same thing happened, no beeps and no display. I also tested the hard drive just for kicks and that works fine. We've really narrowed down what it could be to the processor or the motherboard, right?

Thanks

well if the psu replacement doesn't solve it, then the only other thing is to swap CPUs and that can be expensive.

Bacchus451: I agree it`s either your mobo or cpu that`s faulty. I have a feeling it`s probably the mobo, rather than the cpu. However, it wouldn`t hurt to have you cpu checked at your local pc repair shop. This will only cost a few dollars to have done and at least then you`d know for sure whether the cpu is ok or not.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back