TechSpot

Possible motherboard issue

By lrwynn
Jan 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. After Broni's series of attempts to help me in THIS THREAD, he suggested that I may have a video chip or motherboard issue.

NOTE: I am on a Chromebook now, and am trying to clean my fiance's laptop. He just got it back from a local tech shop on 1/20 (windows 7 reinstall - he downloaded some nasty viruses (via email attachments, we believe! BAD BAD BOY!), and I tried to reinstall windows on my own 6 times, but the acer discs would not complete the reinstall so we took it to the shop). By 1/21 he'd managed to get reinfected, but I don't know if it was residual from the previous infection.

My latest thread to him, following his instructions to go into System Recovery mode, was:

As I expressed to Broni, I'm not terribly optimistic, we've already began the process of shopping for a replacement. Now that I know the beeps have a significance, I'm a bit agitated that the tech shop ignored the HVLinePattern screen and the beeps they likely also heard. (Oh well.)

At any rate, if you have any insights, I'd be so very appreciative. If not, I truly understand that my fiance managed to do too much damage by not getting help quickly enough and/or by clicking on an especially malicious piece of malware. We just hope we can take steps to avoid it again in the future.

Thank you!

2. lrwynn

lrwynn TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

Sorry! must've been half asleep when I posted this under MOBILE COMPUTING ... meant to put it in PROCESSORS AND MOTHERBOARDS and just did so. If there's a way I can delete my original post above, let me know so I can learn the RIGHT WAY to take advantage of this valuable resource.

Moderator note: Irwynn, I moved your post here to a more appropriate subject forum IMO.

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,061   +169

It does sound like a motherboard failure... The video chip is most likely soldered to the motherboard

4. lrwynn

lrwynn TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

Ok. I get that. We're going to give up on this laptop. You can consider this thread closed, and I thank you for your time.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,061   +169

Okay, thanks for coming by:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.