Possible PSU problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt1522

I am having a problem of crashed applications mostly games(SIMS 2, and BIO-SHOCK) and complete system failure I was wondering that maybe my PSU is not putting out enough power to support what I am trying to run

The Graphics card was rated on a 350w psu but the 12v rails were 22-24 amps. I think that My psu cannot handle the load

Ok to start I have a Asus motherBoard that I recently installed
with An Amd Athlon 64 X2 3600

I also have a Gforce 7900gs graphics card(Pci express)

Other Items in the case include 3 fans 2 hard drives(IDE), dvd-r and a dvd rom(both Ide)

Now the PSU that I have is 550w.

it has 12v rails at 18amps

The Question then becomes am I looking to far into the problem or am I right in assuming that I need to look for another PSU that is rated to handle the graphics card (if I want to keep playing my games)

Thank any input will most likely help
Matt

I don't understand what you are asking here. You have upgraded your power supply to 550 watts with 18 amp 12volt rails and you don't think 18 amps is enough?

First off, you can't really trust power supply specs. If your system and game playing has improved to a point where you are happy... using the 550 watt supply, leave well enough alone

The EVGA version of the Geforce 7900GS requires a "Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 20 Amp Amps.)" So I would say your 18 amp power supply is the main reason the games are crashing.

Thanks for the information

I ordered a new psu it at a lower voltage then my 550 watt but it supports 33amps on the 12 volt rails I really hope this fixes the problem

Again

thanks for your input

Matt

the free thing to do while your new psu gets there i think its downclocking your video but then again im not sure if it lowers the power consuption that much

yeah but u will have to lower ur spectations on the game details so u wont overload ur downclocked vcard and its not a real fix to the problem that ur psu cant handle all the weight

Problem possible fixed

Ok so I think that I fixed the problem I installed the new psu and downloaded riva tuner software to set the fan speed on my graphics higher altogether it seem to be working well I was able to play for two hours without interuption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back