Possible Raid Formation, Second Hard Drive Not Recognized

cableman

I have a Dell Precision T5400 which I just purchased off of Ebay. It came with 16gb of ram and (2) 750gb hard drives installed. In "my computer" it shows drive "c" but not the second drive. This computer supports raid configurations but when I received it it had no operating system installed. I installed windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

This computer has (2) quad core processors and I have been noticing a slower response time lately which leads me to believe it may be in one of the raid modes even though they are supposed to be faster most of the time. I went into the bios and the setting it is on is to automatically detect raid configuration in the drives and if not detected the regular mode. I read some information about raid setup and cannot find the software "Intel Matrix Storage Console" on the computer to help verify or change settings. Could this be an extra program like drivers that are downloaded from the Dell website because they don't normally come with a regular windows install?

If someone is familiar with configuring raid formations, could you please help me determine what my system is set on and how to set it properly. I would be satisfied to not have raid active as I don't need that kind of constant backup. My work is not that important. I can back up important files in other ways.

I pulled the secondary drive and even though it would never acknowledge it on my computer it now has a missing hard drive message come up when I reboot. The system is faster which I shouldn't be able to notice without a meter or something. I think something is wrong with the second hard drive causing it to slow my system down making a copy on each drive. If my raid was truly turned off I don't believe it would be looking for a lost drive.

Please help me with this. I just wanted dual(2) Quad core processors with a lot of ram so I would have a really awesome computer to finish building into a great one with all the perks I've wanted. I don't need all the special uses of the raid capabilities for backup. I want performance as number one. I can backup with software like "acronis".

Back