Possible Surface Pro 4 specs reveal fanless, Broadwell-based tablet

Scorpus

Staff member

surface pro broadwell-based microsoft windows tablet microsoft surface surface pro 4

It's approaching the one year anniversary of the Surface Pro 3's launch, so one would expect that the popular tablet from Microsoft will be getting a refresh sometime soon. While Microsoft isn't ready to share any details on a Surface Pro 4 just yet, a report from Chinese site 36kr has apparently revealed what the tablet will contain.

The main upgrade shouldn't come as a surprise: the Surface Pro 4 is said to pack a 5th-generation Intel Core processor from the company's Broadwell line, which is an expected upgrade on the Haswell processor in the current model. However, while the CPU inside won't be Core M, it will apparently be fanless.

Intel's U-series Broadwell CPUs typically generate too much heat to use in a fully-fanless design, but Microsoft will reportedly integrate tiny holes into the design of the Surface Pro 4 to facilitate better heat dissipation. Even with tiny holes the Surface Pro 4 could run rather hot, so it's possible the holes are actually included to provide airflow to a smaller, quieter fan.

The Surface Pro 4 will also come with a slimmer body, according to the report, but won't be lighter. The 12-inch, 2160 x 1440 display will remain, as will the kickstand and the selection of ports found around the edges.

Microsoft will launch the Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 on-board, which suggests the tablet will be available sometime in the middle of the year. The latest rumors suggest Windows 10 will launch at the end of July, so if this is accurate, expect the Surface Pro 4 to debut around that timeframe.

Permalink to story.

I hope it is true, and Windows 10 will make it on this device, but if it doesn't, it'll be more of a funless than fanless device, considering the high prices expected.

I hope it is true, and Windows 10 will make it on this device, but if it doesn't, it'll be more of a funless than fanless device, considering the high prices expected.
I think it's technically fair that they charge more than expected for the Surface, since Microsoft is showing their vision to the OEMs while still giving them the chance to be competitive in price sould they decide to do something similar.
For me, the shame are on the OEMs, which are content in offering us the choice between 1366x768 TN shittops and MacBook-level Ultrabooks with little regard for things in between. They could make a properly priced Surface, they just don't bother to.

Honestly I desperately want a surface 3. im just waiting for an OEM to step up the game with similarly sized device (~11) that has a digitizer for a more reasonable price. thats not gonna happen apparently but I can dream...

Honestly I desperately want a surface 3. im just waiting for an OEM to step up the game with similarly sized device (~11) that has a digitizer for a more reasonable price. thats not gonna happen apparently but I can dream...
I got a Surface Pro 2 for my wife and it's a great device, regardless of Windows 8.1. If I wasn't still a big kid and played games(that require a discrete GPU rather than Intel/AMD cpu die ones) on my laptop I'd probably have an ebay listing selling my laptop, a credit card bill and a Surface Pro 3 in my hands right now.

Dell's Venue Pro 11 7000 series, broadwell (core M)with a digitizer for $699 and they have some baytrail venue 11's for a lot cheaper then S3.

The IT industry as a whole is a cartel dragging the world down. I dare M$ to come up with a 100€ tablet with an HDMI input and a strong battery, which is the only thing that technologically would make sense to an empowered humanity. Anything else is only adding to the pile of crap hardware, that has been the mobile computing since the days of palmtops.

Dell's Venue Pro 11 7000 series, broadwell (core M)with a digitizer for $699 and they have some baytrail venue 11's for a lot cheaper then S3.
I keep reading about the very medicore at best digitizer? that is interesting though I didnt know about the <$500 ones.

I love my Surface Pro 3... Windows 8.1 pisses me off to no end, but the device is great. I feel the display resolution is too high though. I wish they would offer a display close to 1920x1200. I don't see much of a reason to get a SP 4. Honestly I'd kind of like a 14" - 16" tablet.

A fanless design with no active cooling system is a NO BUY for me. I want performance and power to do REAL work, not something with gimped performance and throttling because the components over heat under stress due to the lack of decent cooling. This is hugely disappointing if true. They screwed up the Xbox hardware, DON'T do it with the SPro, please. Another deal breaker for me is if they don't provide a much stronger GPU for 3D and graphics work. The HD4xxx is pathetic by today's standards and there is no excuse to not have a much stronger GPU if they provide an active cooling system. After all, fanless phone and tablet GPUs are already encroaching upon the performance of these OLD integrated HDxxxx GPUs. I still have my old original SPro, and it hasn't at all been worth giving up yet for the 2nd and 3rd iteration. MS needs to give people like me a good reason to upgrade, and don't skimp on power and performance if you're still going to continue charging an arm and a leg for your device. It's 2015, not 2012. Act like it, MS.

Back