Possible to limit bandwidth in router ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnugen

For reasons beyond explanation here, the girl downstairs is using a port on my router. It seems as though she is likely downloading TONS of music as her light is almost constantly blinking when it is on, rarely solid. I am getting high pings in my online games and some "hiccups" when I never did before. I'd also like to keep the download limit within reason from my IP. Is there any way to "cap" the bandwidth going through her port to get my fluid online back, and to maybe deter so much usage and hogging of the connection. To deal with her directly is rather tedious and bothersome........an only child who you'd think thought she was the queen herself. Thanks

Some routers have that ability. There are some programs that can do it as well although I'm not sure how that works when you're not going through another server to get to the internet.

Sorry. Reminds me that I neglected to mention the router..........Dlink Dl604. Looking through the admin section I didn't see any options that controlled the flow at all. Unplugging her just to play games is not an option..........although it's come close a few times. Thanks though.

You need a new and better router for traffic shaping. What you can do, is block all network access from her computer except common services like web and e-mail.

Or perhaps just talk to her and show how to set download/uplod limits in her p2p or whatever programs. Or maybe go and clean her computer of the trojans that use it to send out spam.

I admit, my router is about 4-5 yrs old now, but it works and that was never an issue. If it comes down to buying one that I can govern what goes where and how much of it...........can someone reccommend a couple brand names/models?? Not wireless please. I am pretty sure she only knows of PC what is told to her..........so a cleaning is not a bad idea. Can anything contracted by her PC bypass the router firewall and enter my PC, with sharing disabled?? I do weekly checks for viruses, spyware and adware. So far so good.

There is no firewall between your PCs. The router firewall exists only between the internet and the LAN. You definitely need a software firewall on your PC..

As for brands, Linksys, Netgear, SMC, D-Link make good products although there is a low end and high end to everything. Make sure you see bandwidth management or QoS mentioned in the feature list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back