TechSpot

possible to upgrade my op sys from win me to xp pro on an acer travelmate 201T

By specialagent
Nov 7, 2006
  1. hi there can any1 let me no if its possible to upgrade my op sys from win me to xp pro on an acer travelmate 201T i have a 4.63 g hd?
    thx!

2. Sjbrand99

Sjbrand99 Banned Posts: 267

Erm... wiv that small a HDD it looks like ur specs arnt gonna be great. Wat are ur speks tho?

3. specialagent

specialagent TS Rookie Topic Starter

where do i find my specs plz im new 2 this!!
    thx

4. smore9648

smore9648 TS Rookie Posts: 757

You need a bigger hard drive, very soon. The installation is going to take but at least half of it already and any programs you want to run on your system will eat up the rest.

You will need at least 15% free space to run defrag at the minimum.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,946   +167

5GB hard drive, and how much memory? 64MB? Intel Celeron 500MHz. If you can increase your hard drive to at least 30GB and Increase your memory to at least 256MB, you can run XP...

6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

XP will fit on 6GB just fine.. Where did you get that 30 from?
    256MB of RAM is a reasonable minimum.. 128 is a painful crawl.

You do need to free up as much space as possible before the upgrade. I'd say at least 2GB free.

7. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,946   +167

XP will fit on a 5GB drive, but be realistic, a !0GB drive could be used, but with all the Microsoft updates for XP you wouldn't have much room left for programs or pagefiles. If the memory can't be upgraded realistically, XP should not be used on this minimal laptop

8. smore9648

smore9648 TS Rookie Posts: 757

IMO you are better off buying a faster/newer system then upgrading this slow old one.

DO NOT buy a e-machine!!

9. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Hum.. How about deleting the WIndows updates after they have been installed?

Besides, we don't know how what the computer is used for. You don't need disk space to play Solitaire :D

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.