Possible Trojan - Slow Bandwidth on PC1 but not PC2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a wireless network setup at home and I have the problem where one computer is running slower than another. PC-A connects using a Netgear external wireless card and the other, PC-B is a HP laptop that connects using its inbuilt wireless card (an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection).

When downloading exactly the same file, from the same website, PC-A downloads at a rate of 176kbs per second, whereas PC-B downloads at between 17kbs and 40kbs per second, sometimes getting up to 60kbs per second. I accidently installed a program (***** I know) and it was a virus. I have run McAfee and AVG on PC-B it did "clean" a trojan out of the system, but ever since then my bandwidth has been ridiculous. I've scanned a number of times (even in Safemode, which is where I found the first Trojan) and it says the system is clean.

Is it possible that something is STEALING my bandwidth from PC-B, or do you think it could be the inbuilt wireless adapter? It's speed is exactly the same as the Netgear USB adapter on PC-A though (54mbps).

I will run the "HijackThis" thing on PC-B and post the results. I'd really appeciate some assistance with this.

Thank you.

Please find attached the HijackThis log file attached. Thank you for your assistance.

I'm reviewing you log. But I didn't have to go very far to see you're running two antivirus programs. First thing you need to do is decide which one you want and uninstall the other:
McAfee
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VsTskMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\SHSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\McTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\UdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee McShield (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Manager (McTaskManager) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VsTskMgr.exe
AVG
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
O2 - BHO: AVG Safe Search - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
You also need to stop this from running: It is a program that is run at one time for a specific problem att hat time. It is not a program to run in the background.
C:\Program Files\UPHClean\uphclean.exe

I can tell you that you have way too much starting and running in the background. Please handle the above and I'll finish reviewing the log.

A follow-up post: You have evidence of a Trojan Downloader, among other malware. Please go to the site below, follow the steps, run all the programs and attach all 3 logs when finished. You will run HijackThis again AFTER the other two cleaning programs.
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

You can omit the Java update for now.

Please handle the antivirus matter. We need to make sure you have ONE fully functioning AV program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back