Possible Virus? Screen Changes to a Solid Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

souton

hey. I have a toshiba laptop and it just recently went through it's first format not too long ago. anyways, ever since, my screen will turn to a random color (blue, purple, yellow, green, etc) and I am forced to reboot. AVG ran a scan and found 5 trojans (lmao)

AVG supposedly 'removed' them and or stored them in the 'vault'.
now when I run a scan it comes up clean. I'm suspected I might have a virus and I'm looking into it.

wanted to ask you guys a question about a file titled 'TAPPSRV.EXE'
I've tried to research this file and it doesn't come up with much information at all. does anyone know what this file could be? thanks

TAPPSRV.EXE is a Toshiba Notebook applet and is perfectly safe.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

If it turns out you do have a malware problem, I`ll move this thread to our security forum.

Regards Howard :)

Can`t see anything nasty in your HJT log.

However, you`re running and outdated version of HJT and have not renamed it as per the instructions.

Post a fresh HJT after doing that.

I forgot we are supposed to rename to a .txt file I apologize. I can't find an up to date HJ for some reason. any help with a link?

You`ll find a link in my first post. Within that link is a link to the latest version of HJT plus all the instructions you need.

here you go. I don't see anything fishy either. although I've had legit files infected before. thanks

That`s clean.

Try reinstalling your video drivers. If that don`t help, then maybe you have a video card problem.

If you had 5 Trojans I would just reformat the thing - the damage has probably already been done. After you reinstall windows get avg asap.

I have recently seen two computers with this problem. I have not witnessed the behavior myself, but the users reported it to me. I analyzed the hijackthis logs of both computers and found nothing. One of the computers, I removed the zonebac trojan from it a while ago. Besides that it looks clean. I've run scans with symantec and AVG and found nothing. I ran rootkit revealer, and it found a bunch of items in the temporary internet items folder hidden from windows api. They were mostly jpg's. There were a couple javascripts, but I don't think a *.js is capable of installing a rootkit. There were no dlls or exes. I would like to believe that I am kinda good at eliminating malware, but this one's just stumped me.

souton, what did you end up doing? Have you fixed it? Has anyone else seen this or have any suggestions? Thanks.

I'v been having that problem toooo!!!!!! :(....

hmm, were to start..
I have a *Acer Aspire 9500, (Grafikcard Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family) etc.

The Random Colors acure when i watch Movies(Dvd & Avi) & Online Stream clips & Movies.. its getting kinda anoying..
(Sorry for my spelling)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back