Possibly a stupid RAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tepster

Ok ive never put in extra ram in my life, and recently i found 128 mb ram in a old computer i had. I decided to put it in my current computer, which has 256 mb of ram. So i put it in the extra slot, loaded up my computer and all i heard was beep, beep, beep.

Well im not clueless on why its doing it, but can someone give me a specific answer on why it wont let me put an extra 128 mb sdram in my computer?

tys :)

In regard to the beep beep thing. When you post back can you give a rundown on the beeps. They are codes and the way they beep, how many, short or long, can be used to help troubleshoot the problem. you can learn about them here

there are bascially two reasons for this-one the ram stick you just put in is incompatible or trashed and hence wont work the sytem(it could be short-circuited,old server ram,66mhz-100mhz) and the other very common reason is this is very common when one stick gets either knocked out just a bit or some dust collects on the ram slot,so first thing you should try is-remove all the ram sticks one by one,blow off any visible dust on the ram slot and put in only the new or in this case the old one that you found in carefully,turn your system back on,if it boots up then you got yourself a new stick put in the rest of your old stick and see if everything works fine.good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back