TechSpot

Post Awards and Ratings

By TimeParadoX
Sep 30, 2007
Post New Reply
  1. I had a idea while chatting with Rik on MSN, we were thinking about a sort of post rating and award...

Every other month after rating someone, they'll get a award that will appear near their post counts

Awards could be like this:

Most funny
    Most Helpful
    Worst Poster
    Useless Poster

and so on... You can think of some, those are just guides, Also ratings will appear under your post counts with a Smiley face for good poster and a Red-mad face for a annoying useless poster or something :)

This will also help people determine who is honest and will actually help or if they are just posting to be dumb ;)

The way you could rate people is on their posts ( near where it says #1 or so ) you'll press either a Gold Star ( Good Helper), Smiley Face ( For Funny ), Mad Face ( bad ) and so on :)
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

I think its a good idea, i cant take any credit for it tho, it is all TP's idea.

I seem to remember that TS did once have something along those lines but it was small and hard to spot.
  3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

We tried a rating system not too long ago, called the Karma system. It didn`t work out too well and was the cause of some very disgruntled posting.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic69824.html

In the end, it was decided to get rid of it.

I have a feeling that any other system of post rating, would end up the same way.

With that in mind, perhaps it`d be better to leave things as they are.

Regards Howard :)
  4. Rik

How about if we had a system for only reporting good posts?

Informative, well written, funny, that kind of thing?
  5. howard_hopkinso

Reporting them to whom mate?

6. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,712

The thread cops, who else?
  7. Rik

They go under cover, they wear casual threads!
  8. AlbertLionheart

threadware - now there's an idea!
    BTW - can I join LAN?
    Also - why has Howard got the hump about HTJ logs?
  9. howard_hopkinso

It`s nothing to do with me having the hump mate.

I`ve been doing HJT logs etc for a very long time. They`re very very time consuming and due to factors like other commitments, health issues and the fact I have grown tired of doing them, I decided to call it a day.

10. Rik

Anyone that wants to join LAN, just add it to yer sig.:)

Altho, i have been toying with renaming it to League Against Symantec or LAS for short.

Threadware, lmao.
  11. AlbertLionheart

Howard - you have done more than your share of these things: trouble is, you are the expert.

Rik - *** = Anti Symantec Software - or maybe **** - Anti Rubbish Symantec Software.

edit - oops - didn't know that words referring to bottoms were kicked out automatically. Will it kick out bottoms I wonder?

12. howard_hopkinso

That`s as maybe, but I`ve made my decision and that`s it.

In any case, I don`t think this thread is the correct place to discuss it really. ;)

Back on topic guys please.

13. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,539   +301

I've always been a fan of a rating system, because I don't agree with some poster's take on problem solving or their advice, and I think others agree with me. I think it can be a very helpful and informative addition to a forum.

Problem is, it just doesn't work here. I think people have to join a forum that already has it for it to be accepted. The backlash on our attempt to have it here was astonishing to me. So, I don't think I can get behind any type of rating system here anymore - there were some people that had real hate for it last time and I don't want to see that division between supporters and those against it again.
  14. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,535   +318

I may look into this more extensively in the near future. With the experience of the previous trial I believe we should only look for a system that gives positive scores to posts/users and not negative. As for categorizing the scoring or posts, that is another approach for which I would have to see if there is an available add-on which does that kind of thing since we don't develop any vb plugins in house (other than minor modifications to existing ones, and so on).
  15. AlbertLionheart

As a relative newcomer to the forum, I personally do not think anything is broken so would therefore council against fixing it.
    One potential danger arising from any form of marking is eliteism - at worst this might mean new posts being sent direct as pms to the "most expert", thus denying the rest of us the benefit of seeing what the experts have to advise and overloading the chosen few with queries.
    Actually, I am surprised this does not happen already.
  16. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

It does happen. I'm sure quite a few of the Mods get PM's all the time, as I do. But typically my resonse is to post in in the forums so everyone can gain from the general knowledge.
  17. Rik

Ive had it happen too and i do exactly the same as poetner_1274.
  18. AlbertLionheart

Weird that - I had my first today. Spooky.
  19. jtickner1

jtickner1 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 663

Good idea, could be good if executed well

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.