TechSpot

Post Code 8.2. (abit award bios)

By mmarshall
Mar 20, 2007
  1. For the last 2-3 months, I've been using my newly build computer without a hitch. Yesterday, went to fire it up and nothing a split second of juice then nothing. Opened up the case and read the error code on the motherboard AW9D-Max.

The error code 8.2. means "Enable ATX Power Supply". Unfortunately, this discription is terribly vauge....did my power supply crap out on me? Can you have a bad power supply and still have some juice running to it?

I'm starting to think that the answer can only be found by someone else who had to deal with this...getting nowhere fast with Abit.

Power Supply: Antec Neo HE550

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

2 posts on this problem mmarshall

3. mmarshall

mmarshall TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

What does that mean? Did I do something wrong?

4. Tmagic650

Didn't you have another post containing replies to this Antec power supply issue? It may not be a power supply issue at all

5. mmarshall

Yes, two issues, but on two different mobos at two different times. The first was an Antec PSU that lasted about 2-3 years on an Abit IC-7 (i think that's what the # was).

The second and current issue is an Antec PSU (Neo HE550), but paired up to a different Abit board (AW9D-Max). This is when I decided to join the forums here...hence my original post.

The common denominator in both scenarios are that I'm plugged into the same socket, I used Abit boards and Antec PSU's

6. Tmagic650

Now the ABIT Post code tells you that the power supply is not supplying the proper voltages? Have you plugged in all the necessary power connectors into the motherboard?

7. mmarshall

Alas...I brought the suspected failing PSU into work this morning, plugged it into my work PC and wala...split second of CPU fan spin and then nothing...just like at home. So it was the PSU all along.

So while I pledge no aliegence to any PSU manufacturer, I have to say that in my limited experience, the 0 for 2 record that Antec claims is less than impressive.

Tmagic650, thanks for jumping in, much apprechiated.

Michael

8. Tmagic650

Ok Michael,
    did you purchase these power supplies from Fry's? Is so, return them for credit or something. I use Antec supplies all the time, and I've never had a failure.

Good luck, and best wishes

9. acidjrqmiq

acidjrqmiq TS Rookie

Tmagic,

I read on an Abit forums (ill PM you a link) that Antec is subing out their PSUs and is no longer making their own. Also, the HE550 model is a very quite PSUs due to its High Efficiency and the fan will wait till the PSU is hotter before raising RPMs and making more noise compared to other PSUs.

Mike's Antec PSU's was simply over heating.

10. Tmagic650

Thanks acidjrqmiq,
    I must be using some older Antec supplies. I did see on some of them that a notice says the internal fans are automatically controlled by temperature. Are these the outsourced power supplies?

11. mmarshall

Likewise buddy.

Cheers

12. acidjrqmiq

acidjrqmiq TS Rookie

From what I understand all of the CWT PSU's are automatically controlled by temp. It's the Antec stamped versions that are troublesome because Antec upped the temp where the fan will start to spin faster. The CWT stamped PSU's don't have this problem because they allow the fans to ramp up earlier.

13. Tmagic650

The Antec supplies I have use 2 fans. One fan in the back and one on the bottom. Only one of these fans are temp controlled. The other is not. It runs all the time

14. acidjrqmiq

acidjrqmiq TS Rookie

The problematic supplies are single fan. Looks like you got on the winning side of that deal... Be happy you have one of the last good Antec supplies.

:grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.