Post dilemna (ASUS A7V8X-X)

By rbuck
Jun 29, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When I turn the computer on the POST hangs / stops after:
    INIT PLUG and PLAY CARDS
    PNP INIT COmLETED
    and the bottom of the screen says Press DEL to enter SETUP or ALT+F2 to enter EZ Flash
    If I go into the SETUP and then just ESC the system finishes booting to Win XP and all is fine from then on. If I shut down the same thing happens but if I RESTART the post is ok and the system boots and runs fine. I can't figure it out. Ideas welcomed!

ASUS A7V8X-X WINDOWS XP HOME UPGRADE AMD XP 1700 Athlon 256 pc2700 DDR

Only components are hdd, fdd, cdromand no software except Win XP.

Thanks in advance
    Bob
  2. JSR

JSR Banned Posts: 730

ok bob

your new os should have overwritten the old........so don't concern yourself there................when you start your boot process, just start tapping on the delete key to get into bios................you will have to activate the plug and play feature, and anything else it asks you for, before you save your changes and exit...........otherwise it will continue to harass you..............it looks like you may also have to flash your bios to bring it up to it's current revision
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 837

I'd say the first thing to try is resetting your CMOS (see the manual for the jumper and procedure) and setting up your BIOS again (just try safe defaults for starters). If it's a board that's been on the shelf for a length of time you may have an older BIOS that could be updated. There are two versions, one for rev 1.x boards and one for rev 2 boards. You could also be having ram problems as that motherboard is very touchy about what ram is used. If you hook up a speaker then the post reporter may tell you if there are any problems or if it's getting as far as switching to the boot loader.
  4. rbuck

rbuck TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

Tarkus

At the Asus site they have 1003,1004,1005 and 1006 BIOS updates. There is no reference to which goes with which board revision.

I am still at the point where a cold boot hangs in the bios whereas on a restart ,reset or exit from the BIOS all is well.

Kind of ready to give it back to Asus or Newegg!

Bob
  5. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

6. JSR

JSR Banned Posts: 730

i believe

the most recent is 1005 for your particular board............just go to the search on asus' site.......bios/a7v8xx..........you should have it
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.