TechSpot

POST error - 1 long, 2 short beeps - video issue

By pedxing
Oct 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Moved my motherboard/system to a new case and it won't POST correctly. Award BIOS- 1 long, 2 short. Tried a brand new video card and I'm still getting the same beep code and no video at all. Any other ideas on what it could be?
  2. mike1959

mike1959 TS Addict Posts: 1,060   +19

A couple of things I would check for,
    (assuming you can see anything on screen at boot, BIOS type/name ? Yes/no?)
    1) Check in the BIOS to make certain that the Video card is being selected as first choice.
    2) Does the graphic card need an extra power connection, from the power supply, aside from the one in the edge connector?
    3) If you used the same Motherboard & video card in the old case, was it ok then?
    If yes, then check very carefully how you are bolting the motherboard to the case.
    Check if you have enough standoff's under the board, as just leaving one out can cause problems. Normally you would have 4 or 6, but check your paperwork if you have any.
  3. pedxing

pedxing TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

Ok, I just rebuilt it. I found a tiny spec of dried paste between the pins on CPU. Then I reseated the 4 RAM chips and very slowly, carefully put everything back together.

SUCCESS

Now, I wonder why I was getting "video error" code. Very strange!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.