post error, beep codes, shuts itself down, please help

By *Lori*
Sep 24, 2005
  1. This is my first attemt at building a computer

I turn the power on and all the lights and fans turn on (cpu,powersupply,graphiccard) but i get a post code that says either 83 or 84, gives me beep code (one long, two short), then shuts itself off, and there is no connectivity to my monitor. I've made sure that everything was plugged in right, tried disconnecting everything nonessential, and tried setting it up outside the case. there is one thing that I've noticed, if I disconnect the power to the motherboard on the top left corner, I still get the same post and beep, but it doesn't shut itself off.
    ok, now for my confessions of stupidity. The first time i put the motherboard in, i didn't use spacers. and for the longest time my computer was on 230 (back before my computer would shut itself off after the post and beep)
    yeah, i know that's pretty bad. this is my first time building a computer. any help is greatly appreciated :)

these are the parts i'm using:
    an abit an8 motherboard
    abit radeon rx600 pro-guru graphics card
    an amd athlon 64 3000+ processor
    1gig memory
    230 GB harddrive (i know, it'ts a little much)
  2. pkroks

pkroks TS Rookie Posts: 259

your problem could be related to many things. i think it may be that you have a faulty graphics card or a faulty power supply.. if you can try and swap them out with other parts and see wat happens when you boot. if it still happens after that try changing the ram or just leaving one stick of ram in the first slot. if it works then you may have a faulty stick of ram. (unless you have one stick of 1gb ram in which case all the ram could be faulty)... i think the best thing to do would be to swap out parts as you go along, that way you can eliminate parts..
  3. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 966

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

I believe this has an award bios

The Award bios post beep code is:
    one long, two short Video failure

Could be the video card or the pci-e slot
    Does the video card require seperate power cord
    (molex same as hdd power)?

If possible try the video card in another machine.
  4. *Lori*

*Lori* TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm thinking that it might be a problem with my power supply (not enough or too much power to my video card). The first thing i'm going to try is replacing my power supply. if it isn't that then at least I'll have a spare power supply :) . could it be possible that i don't have enough wattage? even though i have 480w power supply (it is kind of a cheap brand, it came with my case)
    thanx a bunch to everyone trying to help me :)
  5. SOcRatEs

A problem with power supply

Yes it very much could be the psu.
    Cheaper brands are known to way over state thier
    A good quality PSU is the place you don't want to skimp
    on. It's very good insurance.

This is a good Calculator
    This forum"Cooling & Modding" can help you decide which psu is right for you.
  6. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner TS Rookie Posts: 106

i have a thermaltake 430 watt power supply and my HDD kinda almost switched itself off a couple of times. i tried another 4-pin molex connecter and it works fine (to my knowledge) i found a 950 watt peak power supply:
  7. SOcRatEs

That looks like a good psu, I'm not familiar with that brand.
    ppl seem to go both ways with thermaltake psu's.
    If you already have a bad molex on this psu I would replace it.
  8. *Lori*

wrong socket processor

don't ask me how i managed to do it, but i put the wrong socket processor in it. that was the only problem.
  9. foozy

foozy TS Rookie Posts: 139

I know you said not to, but... how in the world did you manage that?
  10. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

That wrong processor must have a lot of bent pins :blush:
  11. *Lori*

wrong socket

i put a socket 754 into a socket 939. it didn't bend alot pins, but enough. I'm gonna frame it and put it on the wall.
  12. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Please read the beep codes guide in the guides forum. Usuing the wrong voltage settings for your country WILL burn out your system. You PSU is probably friend. Hopefully nothing else is. IF you didn't use standoffs you may have fried your motherboard as well.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.