TechSpot

POST problems

By dagiffy
Oct 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello all, first time poster.

My desktop shut down on me about six months ago. I didn't have time to look into it until today. I decided the thermal compound needed to be replaced, so I removed the old and put new stuff in there. Now the computer will stay on all day.

At first I got no beeps for POST. I removed my RAM sticks then re-installed them, rebooted and got one short beep. Then a delay of 5 seconds or so then another short beep. Nothing since then.

I've removed my video card to see what happened. I got one long and three short. Put it back and got a short beep, a pause, then another short beep.

As it is now the computer will stay on all day, all fans running, but aside from the two intermittent beeps at the beginning, I get nothing. No video. My monitor acts as though it's getting no signal, but my laptop can drive it alright, so I know it works.

I have the dreaded ASUS P5LD2 with I think a single 2.8 GHz Pentium IV. This was built six years ago. I know it's ancient old but I'm a year away from being able to buy something new. My video card is a Nvidia GT 240.

I don't have any other desktop to test cards with, unfortunately.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

P.S. Before I reseated the RAM I needed to hold the start button in for 5 seconds to shut it down. After re-installing the RAM I now just have to push the start button and it shuts off immediately. Strange, but may be important? Thanks!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Try another power supply... If you cleaned off the old thermal paste completely and applied just a small thin amount on the CPU, that should be okay. Beeps are a good sign that the motherboard is still "alive"...

"Now the computer will stay on all day"... With no video?

3. dagiffy

dagiffy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, the computer is running, for hours, but no video. The monitor acts as though it's getting no signal at all.

You think this could be a faulty power supply? The computer has power but the video card may not? Is that it?

4. Tmagic650

Does the video card have a separate power connector that needs to be connected to the power supply?

5. dagiffy

No, it doesn't. It's a GT 240, no power cable needed.

6. Tmagic650

What size power supply in wattage?

7. dagiffy

rated at 480 watts

8. Tmagic650

You could try another power supply just to be sure

9. dagiffy

I priced one at Fry's today for 40 bucks. I'll try that and see what happens.