TechSpot

POST problems

By Harare
Jun 1, 2005
  1. I am using one of four similar computers that have boot up problems. They all seem to hang before going through POST and locating HD and RAM.
    During this process the light for the Harddrive is active, this goes on for a long period and then the keyboard flashes for awhile and it may then bootup as normal.
    I have checked all connections and they seem to be fine, I have removed all hardware in an effort to see where the problem lies but to no avail, the CPU fan just runs all the time.
    Eventually it may boot, so I know that all the Hardware functions.

Motherboard P4 pcchips M963 478
    DDR 128MB ram

Can any one help me out with a solution

Regards

Harare

2. TylerBello

TylerBello TS Rookie Posts: 24

Well,Ive never had a pcchips mobo but,some mobos post way longer than others do. Measure the time with a stopwatch,if sometimes it is execessively long and sometimes lightning fast (POST) then you have a problem somewhere along the line. If it is relatively the same time all of the time then it is probably just a long POST. Contact PCchips about your mobos average POST time.

3. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 966

Hullo

I recently had similar prob.
    My solution was the ram blades (the contact edges that go into the ram slot)
    had a strange residue on them (dust ball or something), so i used a regular pencil eraser to clean(video,sound,ram) them up. Do this very very gently. then used canned air to blow out all slots:
    agp
    pci
    ram
    etc.

G'Luck

4. Harare

Harare TS Rookie Topic Starter

Cleaned the RAM and all the slots. Changed the IDE cable and moved the HD to Master on its own IDE, still no luck.
    It sits there with the fan running and HD light lit.
    I have sent it back to the suppliers, but if anyone has any ideas please let me know

Thanks

Harare

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.