Post/Startup trouble

1. PC wont start, it will power up then after a short while will beep once then turn off.
    Nothing ever shows up on the monitor as it turns off too soon.

Things I have done -
    Removed all Peripherals
    Tried a different working power supply
    Tried booting from USB (Ubuntu)
    Unpluged power and held power for 10 secs
    4 ram slots dual channel
    I have 2 differnt pairs of ram
    Removed and rotated ram sticks individually and paired
    *with one certain pair of ram when they were the only ones in the computer it wouldn't turn off but it would never get any farther

Any guidance would be appreciated as to what to try next or things I have missed.
  2. 11mrtom

11mrtom TS Rookie Posts: 16

First, check the fan on the CPU housing is running so as to rule out overheating which triggers a shut down.
  3. Arisenswordfish

Arisenswordfish TS Rookie Topic Starter

All fans are running
  4. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,524   +288

Single beep - long or short? check beep code for the type of BIOS you are running.

Try single stick of RAM

Can you enter BIOS? If you can, does it stop while you are there? (If 'yes', then PSU likely problem, but could be connections, so...)

Check ALL power connections (main, 8-pin, 6-pin on video card, optical drive, HDD, etc).by disconnecting and reconnecting.

Also, check for loose front panel connections (like a shorting reset switch, etc).
  5. Arisenswordfish

Arisenswordfish TS Rookie Topic Starter

Single short beep with phoenix bios (but I think it has always done that beep on startup)
    All rams sticks were checked paired and single as in the original post.
    Cannot enter bios
    All power connections checked because I used a different working power supply
  6. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,524   +288

"Cannot enter bios"
    Time to get out the manual and reset CMOS (flash memory with BIOS configuration - which changes to a basic config when you reset)..