posting

nork

Im new here but i have read and posted in a lot of threads. What i would like to discuss is when a person posts about an issue they are having. The thread gets to the second or third page and some person comes along posting about their problem. 3/4 of the time their issue is not even close to the issue that the thread started on.
Its very hard to try and help one person when another butts in like that.
Now sometimes the person has the exact same issue or a very close issue, thats a different story. And sometimes its a coin toss wether that person should be posting there. But often its simply a matter of a person having a completely different issue, not to mention a completely different pc setup.
I wonder if you could do something about that. Once in a while i point out that this person should make their own thread, and i do it respectfully. But, to me, it seems very rude that anyone should do that. I figure "where is their thinking!"

I guess i am suggesting that you put a sticky on each section telling people they should make their own thread except in extreme situation where the problem is exactly the same and the hardware is the same.

I understand exactly what you mean Nork.

However, having a sticky in each forum to that effect, wouldn`t stop it from happening, as people tend not to read the stickies anyway.

The moderators can, when deemed necessary, split threads, so that the new post becomes a thread in it`s own right.

I already endeavour to do this, but obviously, I do miss some threads from time to time.

Regards Howard :)

nork said:
I guess i am suggesting that you put a sticky on each section telling people they should make their own thread except in extreme situation where the problem is exactly the same and the hardware is the same.
That would be as effective as getting people to spell correctly.

"The problem is not that widespread take it easy.
That would be as effective as getting people to spell correctly.
However, having a sticky in each forum to that effect, wouldn`t stop it from happening, as people tend not to read the stickies anyway."

All good points, can't argue against good, valid points!
I wish people wouldnt lie, cheat and steal and that we also had world peace,lol.
Sorry to bother you people with dorky stuff.

Sorry to bother you people with dorky stuff.

It`s not dorky and no apology is necessary.

I think you make a valid point.

It`s just that I don`t think there`s a lot we can do about it, other than splitting the threads concerned.

Regards Howard :)

It`s just that I don`t think there`s a lot we can do about it,

You are right.
Oh well, maybe at least one person will read this and not post in someone else's thread with a different problem and a different setup, lol.
And the more i think about it, the more its not that big a deal, more a minor annoyance.
thanks for the replies.

It's not dorky. Heck, I find myself answering the same questions over and over and over again. People don't really bother looking for stickies or even reading them even when their answer is just above their question.

People sometimes go on tangents with threads, but then again this is a public forum so similiar issues tend to get bundled together. The range of computer experience here is quite diverse from newbies who think a floppy is a nap on the couch to computer geeks who have no life beyond the keyboard to hobbyists like myself who enjoy online bulletin boards.

Thanks, guys!

Tedster, re what you said. I fall somewhere around the middle as far as abilities with pcs and its great to have sites like this so i can learn more.
I try to give when i can but i learn so much in these places.

I guess thats why i get a bit protective and thus my post.
Its not gonna happen here, i can see that already, but i have seen other forums disintegrate into useless garbage. Thats the reason i get a bit uppity. When i get involved in a forum it becomes mine. I want to keep it running well, lol. But again, i know there are good mods and other good people here, and this forum will never run itself into the ground anyway, lol. So i have nothing to be concerned about.

thanks, guys, for putting my head back on straight, lol again.

Back