Power black-outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

I live in a village on the Isle of Wight, where it's normal to have up to half a dozen power failures a year, there only has to be a strong wind, or a fairly small electrical storm, & bang! off goes the power, my late wife & I had sat for up to six hours, mostly in the dark, waiting, sometimes freezing.
There is no gas in the area, so no heat there.
My query is, what effect does a power loss have, whilst a computer is running?, it's almost bound to happen one day, & I've heard of dire things taking place, is that so?

Maurice
questionwht.gif

Well its not real healthy on the drives I would think. Its probably not too good on a lot of things since there could be a brownout or a surge just before the power goes completely.

The power goes out here about once a month I'd figure for no real reason sometimes. I hate to give advice I dont' follow, but my advice is that you should get a small UPS (uninterruptable power supply) to plug your computer and monitor into (you can get bigger (longer lasting) if you like. I think most will come with software that will allow you to have your computer shut down before they run out of battery juice.

I think that is probably a pretty smart thing to do for anyone, I plan to do it myself soon, but I've got some other things I'd like more...

Thanks, SNGX, you're always reliable to come up with a good reply,...... blimey!, & there's me worried about around an average of five or so blackouts, one a month, sounds like your power network is like ours, so size doesn't come into it.
I shall keep your advice in mind, Happy New Year.
partytime.gif

Maurice

Power peaks and black-outs

I'm not sure if I'm going to make myself clear on this, my 1st tongue is Spanish, but I'll try:

I agree with SNGX1275 (that was hard to remember). The main problem with electric hardware and power tension in a black-out usually doesn't happens when it goes out (altough sometimes it does, specially with pcs), but when it comes back, bringing too much tension to electric devices in a moment and sometimes frying them. So, for your pc, I recommend you get yourself a Power Stabilizator (which will protect your pc when the power goes out and also when it comes back). During an electric storm (high risk of device-frier power peaks) you should also disconnect your modem from the phone line (if you use dial up, ADSL, etc.), because the phone line can also carry tension peaks from lightnings striking it (I'm not talking bullsht here, I have a Power Stabilizator on my pc and during an electric storm my modem was fried, the tension peak came through the phone line, also, my father is an electrician).

So, making it short:

1. Get yourself a small 1-device Power Stabilizator (not very expensive) to your pc or a general P.S. to your whole house (protects all your devices, quite expensive).

2. If you can't get the whole-house one, during black-outs you should turn the power off in your house and wait till it comes back (watch your not so smart neighbour houses, or try every half an hour) to protect everything (i.e. your fridge) from the power-back-tension-peak. If not, everything is unprotected except for your pc (behind the small P.S., of course).

3. During electric storms, do as in step 2, with an addition: disconnect your pc from the phone network, it may blow up even with the power turned off. If you don't want to turn the power off (i.e. because you're freezing) your pc is safe with a power stabilizator IF you disconnect the modem as said before.

I guess that's about it, any questions, just ask.

(How does he know all this??) I'm from the Third World, black-outs to us are like having eggs & bacon for breakfast to you (ajjjj!!! puke: ) jaja just joking!

Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back