Power failure/Firefox problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

I just had a power failure, while I was on Firefox. When power came back up, I booted up and now when Firefox starts, it starts only in a downsize window. But the main problem is, I lost all my bookmarks, and some extensions, like mouse gestures don't work any more. Now if I try to save a bookmark, it won't save. Mouse gestures extension doesn't work, uninstalled/reinstalled, still doesn't work. And I have no search engine. Probably some other problems I haven't found yet.

To try and fix this, I have uninstalled, deleted the Mozilla folder, temp files, prefetch files, and then reinstalled, several times. When I reinstall, I still have my home page, CNN, so obviously I'm missing something, and the same problems still exist.

Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this? I hate loosing all my bookmarks, but this I can redo, if I can get everything to work right.

Thanks for any help.

Maybe your harddrive's busted if you tried several reinstalls. Run a disk check in windows and try also run harddrive diagnostics. To run a disk check, heres what you do:

Go to start, click run.

in run, type chkdsk/f

On your taskbar, it will ask you to restart the computer. Restart and run the full disk check. If there are unreadable disk record segments, list them in your next post.

regards, sw123

Thanks for the quick replys guys. I think I have fixed the problem already. I started Firefox in safe mode and reset everything to default. I can now save bookmarks again, and I've got Google search back. Had to install a different mouse gesture extenion to get that to work though.

Howard, I checked out that link you posted, and I still can't find my bookmarks, I guess when I deleted everything I could find, including my profile, I probably deleted bookmarks also.

I THINK everything is back to normal now, once I replace all my bookmarks. I still don't understand why after uninstalling Firefox, and it's folders and files, I still retained my home page and all extensions. Oh well, at least I'm up and running again.

Thanks again guys.

FF bookmarks are stored as bookmarks.html in:
C:\documents and settings\[username]\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\[funny name].default
There's a bookmarkbackups folder in there as well with 5 daily generations..
If that still exists, you could copy/rename one of them.

Actually, this helped me out too. Thanks RBS!

What's the deal with the FF bookmards disappearing? Odd.

I didnt like firefox since it gave me problems with JAVA applications which are web-based, and I ditched it. I'm now using AOL Explorer

I drink JAVA all day long, it has the same colour as the real black stuff.

PS: this remark is as useless as sw123's last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back