Power Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Am Having A Power Problem on my system the mother board is a gigabyte GA-81945PL-G it all works fine till you do a total power off then when you turn it back on only the processor starts up it doesnt boot but if i turn the power supply switch to off then on again and then turn the system on it boots up fine anyone have any idea's what may be causing this im at a total loss

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It may be your psu is faulty/underpowered. particularly if it`s a no name brand.

Take a look at this PSU wattage calculator. Add a further 30% to whatever figure it gives, as a safety/overhead margin.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thanks for the reply howard Its not the power supply that is faulty i have tried 3 different power supplys all different brands and they all do the same i was wondering if there is a bio's setting that im missing

What did the psu wattage calculator say you needed?

What psu do you have? Brand/wattage/amps please.

You will have to open your case and look at the label on the psu, for this info.

Regards Howard :)

the calculator said i needed a 250W the power supply currently running is a A Power 450W i also tried a Echo star 450W and a Codegen 450 Watt power supply all 3 brands do the same

The Pc is only running a 120GB sata harddrive geforce 6200 graphics card dvdrw floppy p4 2.8 533FSB chip and 2x 512 sticks ddr2 ram

This is the second gigabyte board the first i RMA'd thinking it was the m/board that was faulty but the replacement is doing the same thing its the first time ive had this trouble with gigabyte LGA m/boards

Sorry the A power psu is a 480 watt and this are the specs on it
Power Specifications:
115V, 230V switchable power supply
+3.3V @ 28A
+5V @ 38A
+12V @ 17A
-12V @ 0.8A
-5V @ 0.5A
+5 Vsb @ 2A

That psu looks a little low in the amps department on the 12volt rail.

Download the free Everest programme from HERE.

Run the programme and click on the large computer icon in the righthand panel. Click on the sensor icon and tell me what your voltages are on each rail.

Regards Howard :)

when you turn it back on only the processor starts up it doesnt boot
How do you know the processor starts and does it complete a POST? Howard makes a good point, 17A is a little low for the 12V rail, but maybe you're ok considering you are only running what you are. Do you have case fans too though?

It does seem like the CPU is not recieving the "good power" signal from the PSU until the second try. This could be a mobo fault. Just in case check your mobo is not touching the case anywhere. Did it come with insulting washers for the mounting posts and screws. Makes sure one hasn't slipped to the side. Try jumping the mobo case powr on connector. (i.e where the case pwr on switch plugs in, just short the pins) The PC should immediately pwr up (just don't slip off the pins) This will check if you got some funky case pwr switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back