Power On Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Sometimes when I press the power-on button on the tower, it starts up OK, then cuts out, & goes quiet, the button is still depressed, I press to get it out, then press again.
Sometimes I have to press several times, the screen then tells me "Several attempts have been made.....etc., press F1 to access BIOS......or boot-up {default} will start in 5-4-3-2-1 seconds" I then leave it to do this, I'm not going into BIOS!!
I gather that this is a connection/mechanical fault, can you pin-point it for me please? :confused:

Maurice

Hello Maurice it has been a while.

There a couple of settings that may be causing your problem ,but if you won't go into your Bios I am not sure how you can deal with ,unless a buddy can stop by.
There is usually a setting controlling the function of the Button.
Sleep/suspend setting ?
What do you want to do?

Yes, Len, it has, hope you are well.
I don't doubt you're probably right, but I thought that it was perhaps a mechnical fault, purely because, when my PC was built, the chap that set it up for me, found that the modem was poorly aligned in the case, the phone line could not be connected, & he had to get into the case, & re-align it, I thought that if that could happen, what else was sloppily done?, any connection do you think? [pardon the pun!]

On the personal front, I am now waiting to go into hospital for an "op", if I say "old guy / waterworks, 'spect you'll know what I mean, on our health service it's a five months wait,...go private, pay £5000, & it'd be next week, I'm waiting it out!
Nice to talk to you again, do make sure you're OK too, if you get what I mean.

Cheers, Maurice :D

Maurice said:
On the personal front, I am now waiting to go into hospital for an "op", if I say "old guy / waterworks, 'spect you'll know what I mean, on our health service it's a five months wait,...go private, pay £5000, & it'd be next week, I'm waiting it out!
Nice to talk to you again, do make sure you're OK too, if you get what I mean.

Cheers, Maurice :D

Hrmmm, bad mental image puke:
J/K this is something that is pretty important to the older crowd.
I hope you enjoy it :grinthumb

Sometimes the leads(2) to the terminal (From Button to Mb) are reversed. No big deal and no harm to computer. I am not sure your symptoms reflect this.
The button itself could be bad or dirty.Hmmmm?
At any rate I know you to be resourceful,you will deal with it.
Sorry to hear about that Plumbing .Haven't had the pleasure as yet.My wife forces me to drink a gal of Cranberry juice a week to stave off those issues.I have no clue.
You have a positive air about you ,and I know you are going to prevail.
We in the Colony are beginning to get the same type of wait times for Op's, not very pleasant to say the least.
God Bless,
And we'll see you soon.

Maurice, I found a power button on an old case that was quite dicky. It tended to 'bounce' when pressed and caused a very similar problem.
Becasue the PSU was a good age, I replaced the case rather than mess around cutting my fingers getting a new button and PSU in there.

poertner_1274 said:
Hrmmm, bad mental image puke:
J/K this is something that is pretty important to the older crowd.
I hope you enjoy it :grinthumb

Thanks for the technical viewpoints, Gypsy & Len, but I'm not sure about Poertner; "bad mental image" puke: " & "J/K" etc., I don't recognise the jargon, if it was meant in a light-hearted way,....great!
Perhaps it was unwise to include medical facts on an open post, maybe a PM would have been preferable, is that what you're saying?, if so, oops!
Len, being in his 50's seems to understand,....Admiistrators, if I have breached posts protocol, my apologies!

Maurice
ill.gif
temperature.gif

No worries Maurice. I was simply stating that trying to figure out what you were talking about gave me a bad mental image. The just kidding was meant to take it light heartedly, as a joke.

Great stuff Poertner, [or should it be partner??] it seems that I take you guys too seriousy at times, forgot that you, particularly, have a wicked sense of humour!, just couldn't work out what J/K meant, don't get old & crusty, mate, seems I'm getting there, but I've got a lot on my mind these days, not only the Op, had a bad fall in town recently, & had two days in hospital, very frustrating, up to now I've considered myself as a 40's something brain in a 70's something body, but now more like an 80's something body!!, never mind such is life!

Cheers, mate, Maurice :haha:

Maurice said:
Yes, Len, it has, hope you are well.
I if that could happen, what else was sloppily done?, any connection do you think? [pardon the pun!]:D

Thats a bit strong Maurice :confused: :confused:

If you have a problem, just ask mate, I will always help.

A big "oops", Glen, sorry if I offended you, but you must admit the modem alignment could have been better, at the risk of being accused of sucking up, I suspect that you, yourself didn't fit the modem, you have to delegate, as you are always so busy, [no sarcasm] again, apologies, perhaps I was a bit too direct, with my views, only yesterday in Staples, [wash my mouth out], I was singing your praises to a guy that was thinking of getting a new PC.
As to the power button, the fault is very spasmodic, for the last three days it has worked like a charm, but previous to that, one day it took three attempts, I did think of asking you to fix it, but there's a snag, due to medical reasons I can't lift heavy things, at present, meaning that I couldn't bring it to you.

Maurice
sad.gif
[very red faced!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back