Power on problem

By martyb
Sep 25, 2006
  1. When I hit the power button on my PC, it takes about 25 seconds before the system starts powering up. No lights no hard drive noise...nothing for 25 seconds...then everything starts up fine. This is a home built PC with all new components that has been working fine for the past six months. I've checked the BIOS and there is no delay option that might have been set accidently. Could this be a bad switch? I've been looking on the internet for a few weeks and can't find anyone with a similar problem.

My concern is whatever is wrong will eventually totally screw up and the system won't start at all.
  2. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 716

Time it about 5 times please. If the times are excact, you can rule out a hardware problem. If times are not excact, its either the power switch, cables are not plugged in right, or its a software problem.

3. martyb

martyb TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've re-started about 6 times. It's ranging from 11 seconds to 75 seconds. I opened up and checked all of the cabels and re-started again with the same problem. Not sure where to check for a software problem. Here's the configeration:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer NVIDIA
    System Model AWRDACPI
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2411 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F6, 8/22/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    Time Zone Hawaiian Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 32,768.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 2.93 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 5.34 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
  4. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

have you tried a manual trigger? short the pins that would normaly be connected to your power switch on the motherboard
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.