Power Outage cuts vidio for a Dell PowerEdge 4600 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

raebabe

Ever since the power outage at midnight last night the video has not been coming up for our server. Every once in awhile you can do something and the hibernating screen will pop up and go black again. We have rebooted the server. Also we changed the monitor (this was before we saw the hibernating screen) and found that on that monitor you could see the other servers desktop fine. You still could not see the 4600 which is how I know it must be the server. We hooked the monitor directly to the server and still got nothing. We are going to miss the backup for today and come Monday that alone could cause a lot of problems. We are not sure how long the power outage was but we are fairly certain that the server should have never even shut down since we have it hooked up to an UPS. Any ideas what could have happened?

Sounds like you blew your video card...

If its under warranty or maintenance, place a service call. If it isn't, I'd try to buy a PCI video card and try to get it to work maybe....

Although you would probably have to disable the onboard and that could be difficult with no video.

I was really hoping there was something I hadn't tried becuase I really didn't want to take down the server.

I'm going to have an angry mob in my office but Dell is coming out tomorrow to replace the motherboard.

I guess they will have to save everything they need to their HD and use e-mail. They will live through it I'm sure; as for myself who knows- they just might scream my head off ;0)

Thanks,

Raebabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back