Power outtage = dead PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday during my computers boot process there was a power outtage, and today it will not start. I have an abit av8 mobo, ati x800 gpu, antec 560w psu, and 1gb corsair memory.
When i start the comp the Mobos onboard LCD displays error 0.4 and gives out a steady constant beep. According to this it is a memory problem, but I have swapped in memory that works for sure to no avail. The monitor is in standby mode all this time. The computer stays on indefinately in this constant beep state.

Are there any likely culprits to this problem? Possibly the PSU? I cannot swap out any other parts to check if they work so would like to figure out whats wrong first, any help appreciated
-Thanks

If there is a memory problem but it's not the RAM modules themselves, that leaves the RAM controllers. Perhaps the power outage zapped them. Remove the modules and inspect the slots closely and look for any burn marks. Likewise you might find burn marks on the RAM that was installed at the time. Maybe this isn't it, but it's worth a look. Even without burn marks it could still be bad slots. If so, you'd have to get a new motherboard.

When you first attempt to power up by pressing the power switch, does the power supply fan blade turn 1/4 to 1/2 turn, then quit? If so, the power fluctuation damaged or ruined your power supply. Your equipment is good quality, so I would look at a temporary borrowed power supply to test your system.
Also, you can go to the Abit web site, and look up the beep codes to see the board's analysis of the problem.
Can you boot in Safe Mode?
Do you have onboard video, so you can temporarily remove the video graphics card and reboot to safe mode as a test.
You sort of have to test the memory to rule it out, since the board doesn't like the memory any longer... If you have a friend with a computer that uses PC2100, PC2700, or PC3200 DDR 266, 333,or 400 memory, the memory you have might work long enough to test in another machine... since you don't have the capability to run Memtest86... you might test in in another machine, if that other machine works.

Okay i took out the new stick of ram and put the 2 old ones back in...and it worked. Then when i shutdown and tried to power on again same problem. Im starting to think this mobo is a POS and I shoudl just get a new one. Any ideas what it may be (not buying new mobo, abit av8)

Ya the only memory type I can test is ddr 400 (same as me, seems everyone has this), And the fan keeps spinning at normal speed as if it was all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back