Power Supply and Case Upgrade Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledgus

Hey all,

I want to upgrade my power supply to a 550/600 Watt one, as I want to upgrade to a 640mb nVidia 8800 GTS and I don't think a 450 watt PSU would do it justice with a Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB Corsair Extreme DDR800 Ram etc, 250gb Sata 2.0 etc..

I was just wondering if there is anything I need to know? If I buy a 550/600 Watt power supply, will I need to buy a new case too? Or will it fit my current case (Currently has a 450 Watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Motherboard)

Any help is appreciated,

Thanx all

Measure the size of your current power supply, and look for which plugs and sockets your motherboard requires.
The better quality new power supplies come with everything you need.
Avoid "cheap" power supplies, but there are hundreds that will work fine... FSP, Antec, Color Master, CoolMax, Thermaltake, Apevia, Sparkle, PC Power and Cooling (the best, in my opinion), Raidmax, XCLIO, and most of the ones sold on the more popular websites are going to do the job. I avoid OCZ, and Corsair, Delta, Powerman.... You will find that most power supplies are made by just a few manufacturers in China and Korea. Save your receipt, as even big name, expensive power supplies can suddenly fail.

Since you must have a ATX case, most any ATX PSU should fit.
Here is a good read on PSU's with some good recommendations.
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=136602

@raybay: Right now Corsair makes some of the best PSUs but the price is high. OCZ sells mostly re-branded FSP with better warranty support. I don't see why they should be avoided? (Nether does DavidHammock the PSU expert.)

awesome, thanx for the replies. One more question, how do I know if i have an ATX case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back