Power Supply Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer has been dead in the water for several weeks now and I am not sure what the problem is. I think an electrical storm may have fried my power supply, but I am not sure. Here are the specs on my "clone" system:

MB: Intel D101GGC (w/onboard audio and video)
CPU: Intel P4 511 LGA775 (04A Platform)
PSU: RaidMax ATX 12V 380W
RAM: 1GB (2-512MB) PC-3200 Single Channel
DVD: Sony 16X
CDRW: Sony 52X/32X/52X
HDD: Maxtor SATA 200 GB 7200 RPM

When I opened up the case and looked inside, with the power cord plugged in, the motherboard has a green LED light that indicates the MB is receiving power. When I tried to turn on my computer I guess it is the CPU, but it makes a funny clicking sound and the the fan over the CPU tries to turn, but stops immediately. When I turn the fan blade with my finger it turns freely, so I know it is not the bearings in that fan. I have been to Intel.com and followed all their recommended steps to troubleshoot this problem, but no solution, as of yet. I have unplugged all devices from the power supply, except the 4-pin (12V) power connector and the 20-pin main power connector and the CPU fan and nothing has changed. What else can I do? What is a definite indicator that it is a power supply problem and not a MB or CPU problem? Please Help! Thanks!

Have you also unplugged the HardDrive and CD/DVD drive, and floppy (from the motherboard end)?
Remember you just want it started

The fan may be thermostatically used, that is it won't start running until the system is warm.

Reseat Ram?

Ideally test with another PowerSupply
Here's a good BenchTest Guide

You should also try dispersing all internal voltage, by holding in the power button for 30secs whilst the power lead is out.

I'd also recommend removing any internal PCI card attached
I've even have faulty CPU fans cause this error

That little green light on the motherboard means almost nothing when trying to diagnose a possible PSU problem.

Yes, I have unplugged ALL cables from mobo that lead to HDD and any disk drives. I did try to reseat the RAM, but still no changes. Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back