Power Supply fan question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ev0l

my power supply is new to me (master power 520 watt)

i've been having a problem with random restarts or crashes during a specific game which i've never had before (WOW)

in hopes that its not my memory which is pretty new, i've been working on the heating issue. i took the side of my computer off and aimed a small fan in it which seemed to take away the problem. so i went out and bought a GPU fan which worked for awhile then the problem came back up. so i bought a new case fan which hasn't worked. when installing the case fan i realised that my powersupply has two fans, neither of which spin when the computer is on. i've looked everywhere on my comp for a control to get these things going.

i was wondering if indeed this issue is able to resolved in the BIOS or in Windows itself, or if my power supply is faulty?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

Just checking, but doesn't your power supply have a fan connector which plugs into one of the corresponding fan connectors on the motherboard? In other words, the power supply fans draw their power from the motherboard. Is it plugged in?

Faulty PSU? I think PSU fans should be on whenever the PSU is on. There may be controls to decrease the speed, but not to shut it off completely.

master power?? sounds generic to me. if it is then it wouldn't surpirise me if it's defective.

power supplies that have a motherboard fan connector are just to allow PSU fan speed monitoring vis BIOS or windows program, it would be pointless for a PSU to draw power from the mobo for it's fan.

if your PSU works but the fan doesn't (first be certain that the fan itself works), just wire it right into the 12v line inside the PSU (the yellow wires leading out are +12v, just use a case screw for the ground)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back