Power Supply Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimgesch

I have a question about the +12 rating on a PSU. I have a 14A rating. Is a higher or lower number better. Reason is, I'm looking to upgrade my video card, but don't want to change the PSU too.

The higher the number the better. Does your PSU by chance have two 12v rails? If so, you can add the two together (but not the -12v rail).

It'll all depend on what you have, and what you are trying to put in. If you are wanting to put in a newer graphics card, you'll want to be up in the 24A range total on your 12v rail(s).

Here's what I can read on the PSU:

Model # PS-5251-2D

Output:

+5V/22A Max
+5V (FP)/2A Max +3.3V/18A Max
+12V/14A Max

It'll depend how much stuff you have hooked up now and what kind of card you are looking to stick in there. How many watts is it rated at? What make is it? If the newer card you are thinking of sticking in there is a good one, then I don't think your PSU will be enough. That's my hunch based on the numbers you've given so far.

PSUs are cheap by the way. For example check www.newegg.com for FSB (fortron) psus. You can get a good 350W psu with lots of juice on the 12v for under $50.

What about this one:

LOGISYS Computer PS480D-BK ATX12V 480W Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 pin connecters 100 - 240V Meet UL 1950. CSA 22.2 Level 3 Requirement - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back