TechSpot

Power Supply Questions

By xDeFiAnCe
Feb 8, 2007
  1. Hi guys.

My old 420watt powersupply that came with my case died on me. (Actually it never worked) So I need to buy a new one. I'm on a really tight budget.

I picked out this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817162017

I wondered if it would work good with my setup:

APEVIA X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
    Intel P4 630 3.0 GHZ
    Asus P5B-VM 1394
    1x Western Digital 120gb HDD
    1x 40 gb HDD
    5x Case Fans (3 on motherboard, 2 connected to powersupply)
    1x DVD Reader
    1x 18x Sata DVD DL Burner
    512 mb RAM
    on board video. (Temp.)

2. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

I'd recommend this one.

I'm not sure about Broadway com corp's power supplies; I'm not sure if that's the same company as Broadcom or not, but it doesn't sound like it. I'd stay with a name brand.

Regards :)

3. xDeFiAnCe

xDeFiAnCe TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hm its only 430 watts though. Are you sure that will be enough for my setup? I plan on buying a GFX card and 2x1gb RAM soon too

4. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

That only has 19A on the +12V Rail, and that may not be sufficient enough for a power-hungry video card. I could see if it has 2 Rails w/19A, but it only has one.

I've never heard of them either, a good brand to stick to would be Thermaltake, or Antec xDeFiAnCe.

It doesn't really matter the wattage, as much as it matters the amperage on the +12V rail. By no means am I saying that the wattage is not important, becuase it is, and 430 watts should be pretty sufficient for a video card (unless it's a top of the line like an 8800GTX). If you tell us your specs, and what you'll be buying, we can help you more.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.