Power supply rippling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaUcY

so when i purchased the components for my latest build this past summer i didnt realize how vital the power supply was to the computer, so of course i went the cheapest route and bought a "Power up 800w" PSU for 80 dollars brand new on ebay. well i've been having heaps of trouble getting 64bit working so i went back to 32 bit, now i just put some patriot viper 1066 RAM in my machine and it restarts if i have it set to 1066 and its under a load. well my voltages are good and constant when idling, but when under a load the voltages were rippling like crazy. the 12V, 5V, DDRV, 3.3V i noticed were all varying by about .05V at LEAST under load. my cousin who ive been talking to said thats way to much variation and could be the source to my 64bit problem due the fact its more strenuous than 32 and my ddr2 1066 problem due to the fact the ram runs fine at 800. does anyone else agree with my cousin on this?

yeah i want to ASAP because i dont want my 4870 being taken down with it. but a good PSU wont variate in voltages at all while under load?

I may be off-base on this, but the unstable voltages from PSU are a hardware issue and should not cause any more issues on a 64 rather than on 32 bit system. I'd suspect an obscure 64 bit driver being the culprit.

The DDR 1066 vs 800 may or may not be the PSU instability issue. 0.05V variation "at least" can well be the case, but I would be more inclined to believe that your new RAM sticks require higher voltage to operate than the motherboard default. Check the specifications for the RAM sticks voltage (should be easy to dig up on the Internet and, maybe on the sticks themselves) and check in the BIOS how much voltage is supplied. If voltages match, I suggest dump the PSU and get a decent one.

Any advice from the more experienced members? EDIT: just saw the advice above.

they all very to some degree, but the good ones have very little ripple, like under 100mv at 80% load. here is a great website to do some reading. they have a very thorough and strenuous program for testing PSU's. if Rage_3K_Moiz finds this thread, he will give you a better explanation.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

i set the voltage to 2.1 which is what they should be at and i manualy set the timing to.... still errors like crazy in stress tests. and for the 64, it was freezing before i put and drivers on there, even after i updated it and installed the FORE SURE x64 drivers for my vid card and mobo still was freezing like crazy. but im going to test my PC while running my cousins corsair 700W PSU (which is probably the one i'll purchase) and see if that helps.

thanks.

Never skimp on $ on a power supply. It is one of the most vital parts of the system.
Ebay often sells chinese crap o.t.t. (on the tit). So you get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back