Power supply watts for AMD 64

By stevechurch
Jan 29, 2005
  1. Is a 300W psu suitable for an Athlon 64 3000+, Asus K8N mobo, 512M memory, FX5200 graphics card. Also 2 IDE hard drives and a CD R/W. Am looking at cases now.

Many thanks,
  2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

Just barely!
    If you upgrade anything on this machine you will be taxing 300w. This is the absolute minimum recommended for PC's
    For psu more is best( not a lot, just more)
    Go with a brand Enermax,Antec, etc and get 350 w +
    Base your decision partly upon what you might do to this machine in the future. Remember with the brand names there isn't a huge difference in price to get to the 350 range and above.
  3. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 942

I have an Athlon 64 3400+, 1024mb ram, a DVD burner, 9800 pro, a TV tuner and a PCI ide controller with a total of nine hard drives, 8 ide and 1 sata.

PSU is a 350W Antec Silent Blue

It is beautiful
  4. Caerbannog

Caerbannog TS Rookie

I went with an Antec TrueBlue 480W for my Athlon 64 4000+ it looks pretty nice with my Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED and the front panel blue lighting my case already had anyway.

That aside though as Liquidlen stated there isn't a huge price jump between a 350+W and a 450+W. For example with the Antec line I think the price difference between the TruePower 330W and the TruePower 430W is about $20 USD
  5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

I think wattage ratings are nearly useless.

For example, you can buy a case with a 400w power supply and it can still only have 4 power connectors. The reason is the PSU, despite being rated at 400w, can't really deliver the amperage necessary to drive many more components. If you buy a good quality case, you won't have this problem, but just an example.

At the same time, some of those tiny little breadbox cases run on 230w PSUs and power a complete Athlon 64 system. So I think a good quality 300w PSU will be fine, but the more the merrier. Just make sure you don't get a cheapo 450w over a good quality 350w PSU.
  6. Dcrewchief

Dcrewchief TS Rookie

windows rg

hey rick, really like youre windows rg i think everyone should have one not. :haha: :grinthumb
  7. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

I already had a very quiet PSU, but replaced it today because of my new AMD64-3200 and Abit AV8-3rdEye mobo.
    Installed: 1x floppy, 1x SCSI Plextor CDRW, 1x Liteon DVD, 2x Seagate Barracuda IV ATA 80GB disks, 1x Matrox G550 graphics card, 1x Adaptec SCSI card. 3x 80mm case fans, 1x AMD stock-cooler-fan.

Rock-solid +12.128, +5.105, +3.344 voltages
    The new PSU is even quieter, can't hear a thing. It is a Hiper Type-R Series 480W Black Label. Dual +12v rails.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.