Power supply watts for AMD 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a 300W psu suitable for an Athlon 64 3000+, Asus K8N mobo, 512M memory, FX5200 graphics card. Also 2 IDE hard drives and a CD R/W. Am looking at cases now.

Many thanks,
Steve

Just barely!
If you upgrade anything on this machine you will be taxing 300w. This is the absolute minimum recommended for PC's
For psu more is best( not a lot, just more)
Go with a brand Enermax,Antec, etc and get 350 w +
Base your decision partly upon what you might do to this machine in the future. Remember with the brand names there isn't a huge difference in price to get to the 350 range and above.

I have an Athlon 64 3400+, 1024mb ram, a DVD burner, 9800 pro, a TV tuner and a PCI ide controller with a total of nine hard drives, 8 ide and 1 sata.

PSU is a 350W Antec Silent Blue

It is beautiful

I went with an Antec TrueBlue 480W for my Athlon 64 4000+ it looks pretty nice with my Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED and the front panel blue lighting my case already had anyway.

That aside though as Liquidlen stated there isn't a huge price jump between a 350+W and a 450+W. For example with the Antec line I think the price difference between the TruePower 330W and the TruePower 430W is about $20 USD

I think wattage ratings are nearly useless.

For example, you can buy a case with a 400w power supply and it can still only have 4 power connectors. The reason is the PSU, despite being rated at 400w, can't really deliver the amperage necessary to drive many more components. If you buy a good quality case, you won't have this problem, but just an example.

At the same time, some of those tiny little breadbox cases run on 230w PSUs and power a complete Athlon 64 system. So I think a good quality 300w PSU will be fine, but the more the merrier. Just make sure you don't get a cheapo 450w over a good quality 350w PSU.

I already had a very quiet PSU, but replaced it today because of my new AMD64-3200 and Abit AV8-3rdEye mobo.
Installed: 1x floppy, 1x SCSI Plextor CDRW, 1x Liteon DVD, 2x Seagate Barracuda IV ATA 80GB disks, 1x Matrox G550 graphics card, 1x Adaptec SCSI card. 3x 80mm case fans, 1x AMD stock-cooler-fan.

Rock-solid +12.128, +5.105, +3.344 voltages
The new PSU is even quieter, can't hear a thing. It is a Hiper Type-R Series 480W Black Label. Dual +12v rails.
http://www.hipergroup.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back