TechSpot

Power Supply

By Ollie30001
Jul 13, 2004
  1. hey, can someone help me chhose a power supply from this http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/ site. (in the cases and psu section on the left)

I have about £70 so i want to know the best power supply i can get for that amount of money (may be able to get a little more)

i need it to be able to handle the new X800 graphics card that i am gonna buy soon so i wanted to make sure i got a good PSU (thats why im askin you lot :) )

Once youv found one could you post the link on here so i can bye it....cheers...

>>>>>COMPUTER NOOB<<<<<

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

Either one of the Antecs is great. Most of the others were "Generic".

3. STK

STK TS Rookie Posts: 102

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

5. STK

He should not need 480W, I am running P4 3.0GHz, 2GB DDR RAM, 120GB HD 7,200 RPM, and a RADEON 9800XT 256bit , all on a 420W power supply, and i rarely have a problem.

6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Read up on the power requirements for the new X800 and 6900 cards

7. STK

Oh, sorry i was looking at the specs in your signiture. Yes, go big if you plan on getting new, top of the line hardware.

8. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,608   +295

I was running the following on a Ahanix SilenX 400w PSU:

-Athlon 64 3200+
    -Asus K8VSE Deluxe
    -2 x 512mb OCZ EL-DDR PC3500
    -Sapphire X800 Pro 256mb
    -Creative Audigy 2
    -Sony DVD-RW DRU-500A
    -2 x 36.7Gb WD Raptors
    -2 x 40Gb Seagates
    -1 x 80Gb WD Cavier SE
    -2 Case fans + HSF

I never had any problems but as stated its safer for future use to go for a larger PSU. Prior to trying to get a silent system I was running an Antec TruePower 550w PSU. The person I sold it to had a Q-Tec 550w psu running a similar system to mine with less hard disks and a 9800XT and was having problems with crashes/lockups. The Antec solved it.

So as RBS's post says make sure that the current available on each rail is high enough to drive all your devices. And a quality PSU like Enermax, Antec etc. over generic unknown brands should be what you look at buying.

My choice would be the Antec TruePower Quiet 480w:
    http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/product_info.asp?stockcode=M003208

9. Ollie30001

Ollie30001 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 144

OK, thanks for ur help guys.

10. Dasimpse

Dasimpse TS Rookie

I have the triple fan one u suggested the hiperfan or whatever its called. But i wanna ask about somethin. when the pc's off and plugged in if i listen to the back of the power supply its makin a quite buzzin noize in bursts u know like an electrical buzz buzz buzzzz buzz with spaces. this has started to worry me, is this coz its so powerful or is it attempting to short out!?

any ideas will be appreciated thx

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.