Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Baltan

Ok my computer has no sound and also the usb ports dont work. Smoke came out of the power supply, so i think its died.

What i want to know is can i buy any power supply to replace the old one. My old on is a 250 w atx.

Thanxs Baltan

What are the rest of your system specs?

Did it happen all of the sudden happen or where you messing around with it?

U might need one ranging from 300W to 450W, depending on ur system specifications. Out of those, the most important would be ur motherboard, its chipset, ur processor (a Pentium 4/Celeron/Pentium D uses up more power than an AMD Athlon 64/Athlon XP) and ur video card.

It happend when i started up the machine. there is no power coming out the USB ports so i think the power supply is not working proberly. When checking the USB it come up with code 10. The onboartd sound on the motherboard come up with code 10.

I have a pentium 4 processor 2.66.
Not shure of the motherboard make.

Baltan

Hi Baltan,

1. first things first... you should unplug your computer and leave it off until you replace that power supply to avoid any further damage or risk of fire

2. based on you first post, as I understand it your computer turns on and runs but you have no sound and no USB power? If that's the case, then your motherboard may have also been damaged by the dying power supply.

3. since you saw smoke come out of the power supply, it's certainly time to replace it. you say your original was an ATX, so you can replace it with another ATX.

generally speaking, any power supply that blows smoke out of it is a cheap power supply. a quality power supply has good protection circuitry that shuts it down before it gets to the point of blowing out smoke (or even worse, catching on fire).

you have just learned the importance of having a good quality power supply. so when you get another one, don't just buy the first one you see. brands like Antec, Enermax, and Fortron make low cost models (as well as higher end end models) that will protect your PC from damage.

good luck :wave:

Thanxs for the replys.

When i load the computer up it starts noprmallyu and all the programes load. After all that has happend i get 2 short beeps. I have tried to reinstall the drivers for the sound and USB ports but it keeps coming up with the same thing code 10.

Is it possible that my motherboard has been damaged?

Thanxs Baltan :)

Its definately possible but you wont be able to tell untill you have a new psu in it!!!!

It's not uncommon for a crappy PSU to blow and take out other components like the video card/mobo along with it.

So basically u suggest that i should get a new power supply and try it on the system and see, if that works? If there is no sucess on that it means the motherboard is damaged!!

Baltan

Baltan said:
So basically u suggest that i should get a new power supply and try it on the system and see, if that works? If there is no success on that it means the motherboard is damaged!!
regardless of whether or not your motherboard is damaged, that power supply is dangerous to use and needs to be replaced. even if it seems like it somewhat works right now, it's not going to last much longer. if you continue to use it, you may damage other components and run the risk of it catching on fire. :hotbounce

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back