Power Switch not working right

Mogymog

My apologies if this in the wrong area, it seemed right at the time.. My problem is, brand ned build roughly a week old.. When I hit the power switch nothing happens, I have to reach around and flip the PSU switch on and on again, then hit the power button and it starts up just fine. A friend mentioned it could be a short, or a grounding pen somewhere interfering. But as I've never seen a problem like this, I can't diagnosis it on my own.

Case: Cooler Master 932 HAF
Mobo: Sabertooth Z77
PSU: Corsair HX850

Hey Mogymog. Does this happen every time you turn on the pc or is it an intermittent but frequent problem?. I assume you already checked the power switch wiring to the mobo for a secure connection.

Happens every time I wanna turn it on.. and yeah, I've pulled off both power connector wires, and reattached them to make sure they have a solid connection.. I've pulled and rearranged the powerswitch connector from the case to the mobo multiple times.

I would pull the switch connector from the mobo and using a multimeter set to read continuity and with tiny probes, check the switch/wiring when you press the button. I would do this maybe 6 or more times. If the switch/wiring checks out good, I suspect a problem with the mobo or PSU. A quick check with an el cheapo PSU just to see if the mobo is turning on the PSU would be good if you have one handy.

SABERTOOTH Z77 User's Manual (English) can be downloaded here.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z77/#support_Download_8

Sabertooth PWR RST.png

Are you using the Q-Connector for easy access and/or motherboard pin-out reference?
Can you post a picture of your front panel connector? It could help to answer some of our questions.
Which OS are you using by the way? Check your power settings for irregularities in how you want the power button controlling your system.

Using Win7 Ultimate.. and that is how I have my power switch setup.. and as for a picture, I doubt I could get one that would show any decent quality too it.

And no not using the Q-connector.. as I didnt even see it. Guess I'll have to go back through the box, and dig around for it.

Well I thought perhaps I had fixed it yesterday, but apperntly not. I haven't used another PSU to see if its the current one yet or not. But, if its not I don't know what else it is. I took the case apart to look at the power button switch it appeared to be fine. Though honestly it's just an annoying inconvience, if its not gonna be dangerous, or cause problems I really wont worry about it much.

One way you can test the case power switch is to "switch" it with the case's reset switch. They both work the same way and if you get different behavior after hooking up the reset switch, you've found the problem. If there is no difference, it's not the switch.

Back