Power up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i turn the sysem on the power light goes on for about 5 to 10 seconds then it shuts off the cd drive lights up the cpu fan spins the green power light is on in on the motherboard but then everything shuts off exept the green light it has a amd 2000+ xp cpu on the asus a7s333 i have re seated the cpu the fan and the memory many times but still nothing happends

try resetting your bios jumper on the motherboard (for a how to: see manual/manufacterer's website or google on "<your mobo> manual"). if still nothing/ no beeps try your cpu in another motherboard to see if it's not dead

i figured it out today it beleave it or not was the cpu fan it came with rubber strips to seat it on the cpu i took them off and hit the switch it booted right up. don't know why they would have done to get it to work but it did.

thanks for the reply Lostfaith

You just opened the door wide for frying your CPU!
Those "rubber strips" were the thermal pads to conduct heat from CPU into cooler.
Take the cooler off again, clean everything up with isopropanol alcohol, buy some thermal paste and apply on ONLY the metal square or rectangle in the middle of the CPU. Use only the amount of about 2 rice-corns of paste and spread evenly, using e.g. the side of a credit-card. Put the cooler back on, give it just a little twist when it makes contact with the thermal paste, and tighten it up.
That should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back