Powerbutton crapped out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 and yesterday I went to turn on my computer and NOTHING Happened,no power at all. I have checked everything all is plugged in and everything seated properly and securely in the tower. There have been a couple times I hit the button in a hurry and found it didn't turn on but on hitting it again it did just fine, so figured I was just in a hurry and didn't hit it straight on, now I have nothing at all. I am thinking the power button circuitboard crapped out but have no idea where or what to put in to find another to replace it and see if that is the problem, please if someone knows where I can go to find internal parts such as power buttons and such let me know, and No Dell is of no help here unless I was interested in one of their newer models haha

I doubt your problem actually is the button, but you can test it. To test follow the two wires from the power button to the front panel connector, note which two it goes to. Remove the connector(remember how it goes, or take a picture of the connector as a reference to put it back) for the power button from the pins and short the two that the switch goes to with a flat tipped screw driver. If the pc starts, then you have a bad button, but if not you have a more serious problem, like a bad power supply, motherboard, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back