Powercolor AX7990 3 Slot Edition $500

By GhostRyder
Oct 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Just saw it this morning, its been fluctuating around 549-649 as of recently, I just saw this morning however, that they are being sold for $499 on newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131483

This is one heck of a deal considering the prices of the single GPU variants from either side.

Btw, this one is not voltage locked as some people have said according to the reviewers, it seems that only activating bios 2 locks the voltage, so it has a high overclocking range!

Also, you get the never settle 8 game bundle with this card as well!

Im fighting myself right now to not purchase a pair of these and the EK waterblocks, the temptation is killing me...
  2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

Oh man, I'm so jealous. :(

Ours cost $690 haha.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,067   +1,180

Out of stock now. LOL
  4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,699   +586

That information is incorrect.
    AX7990 6GBD5-2DHJ (the Newegg one you linked to) IS voltage locked to protect the market share of the AX7990 6GBD5-A2DHJ (The Devil 13 model. Red accents on the cooling shroud rather than all black).
    If you're buying the 2DHJ then source a A2DHJ BIOS to flash. They are easy enough to find.
  5. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Guru Topic Starter Posts: 1,831   +392

If you read some of the recent reviews, the newer versions of this card are not voltage locked on the BIOS 1 setting. Unless the people are lying after buying the card because a couple have stated it is not bios locked.

The originals were because of the devil 13 edition, but that has been out of production for quite some time, I said according to the reviewers it is not voltage locked as long as you keep it on the default bios (Not the 925 core one)
  6. dividebyzero

I'd be real keen to read these recent reviews - please link as I'm always keen to expand my knowledge base with verifiable information.

The Newegg feedback (latest is last month) tends to support the card is still voltage locked. Pretty much the same story as the enthusiast forums are reporting ( this one at XS for example)
  7. GhostRyder

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-131-483&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=5&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1

5th one down, clicking 5 star reviews by user N/A (Says verified owner), that's the first one I noticed right off the bat, though some people say its locked. So its odd unless the guy is lying for whatever reason.

6th guys has it overclocked (Michael Turbo) to 1150 on the core and I doubt this would be possible with stock voltage. Edit: Apparently this is possible so nvm.

I thought they were locked as well, but seems at least some users are claiming they are not. I almost purchased a pair, but now they are out of stock anyways, but its for the better, im still happy with my setup and im waiting for the next gen dual GPU cards to come out personally.
  8. dividebyzero

Seems strange that he would ALL CAPS the point. I would also take Newegg feedback reviews with a large helping of salt. It isn't entirely unknown for company reps to boost feedback ratings.

I just contacted PowerColor for clarification on the matter. I'll either post their reply, or post my displeasure in PC's lack of support if the contact goes unremarked upon.
    Somewhat immaterial. The internet is forever. I'd hate for Newegg to get another batch in stock (or TD, Directron, B&H, whomever) and have someone Google this thread looking for the same info- and base their purchase on supposition. It's been known to happen.
  9. GhostRyder

Umm quote button is acting up for me at the moment so im not going to quote...

True, but hes a verified owner meaning he at least purchased it, but I guess for PR that would be possible, however lying about something like that for PR would be stupid because I mean its pretty easy to find out if its true or not once you get the card...
  10. dividebyzero

Just received an email back from PowerColor.
    The AX7990 6GBD5-2DHJ is voltage locked.

And as far as PowerColor is concerned flashing the card with AX7990 6GBD5-A2DHJ (Devil 13) BIOS is warranty voiding.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.