PowerDirector and DVD+RW

KathyJ

Hi everyone. I am using PowerDirector version 8. I have some dvd+rw disk with some home movies on them that I would like to capture and edit but it doesn't work with this type of dvd. I click on the capture, etc. just as I do with a dvd+r. It will say "loading disc" but it never loads it. There is nothing showing that there is a disc in the drive. But, if I copy them onto my hard drive and burn them on a dvd+r, it will recognize it and work then but I would rather not have to do it that way if I can help it. I may be wrong but it just seems like I will be losing quality in the video if I have to copy them to my hard drive first and they don't have good quality as it is now. I've asked this question at the Cyberlink Powerdirector forum but no one knew the answer.Does it not support the rewriteable dvd's? Has anyone tried it with dvd+rw's? If so, how did it do? If it does work with them, what could be causing this and how can I fix it? Thanks for your time.

What's your model and serial number for your DVD+RW, if you provide this, maybe we could help you with better answer, but at this moment, you didn't give us enough information.

Please list your system specification ( if you dont know how, please read the instruction of using Belarc in the below.)

bushwhacker said:
There's more reliable way to pull down the info and attach the html of your specification, by using Belarc.

Click here to get it, it's very light program. http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisor.exe

Instruction:

1. Download the belarc from the link I provided.
2. Install it, click yes to check for the new security definition ( That's good way to check for missed critical patches for your os). Belarc will start for the first time, by itself.
3. Once the analysis completes, the internet browser will loads and displays your specifications, as well as the patches, with suggestions. It will also tells the driver and directx versions. This is important for us to analyze and identify your problems.
- The Belarc Advisor Current Profile loads the info in your browser, the file path will says as
file:///C:/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/tmp/%28yourname%29.html
This quote is where you should save the page.
3a. Click File > Save page as... > Save it in your desktop with name as your desire > and save it as Webpage, HTML only.
4. Compress the file using WinZIP or WinRAR and attach it to pm and post on this thread.

!!! Please remember that it displays the license numbers for your OS, and your programs (This includes your IP addresses too), so you can either edit html and delete your license keys using the notepad, or send it to someone who you trusts. ( Preferable, higher the posts, the better answer they can provide to you. )

After you read the belarc analysis, you should be able to find your DVD+RW model number and version of firmware.

Sounds to me like he can read the RW disks because he says it works if he copies to HD and then burns to a R...

Just to confirm, are you using the same drive and same computer to copy the files off the RW to the hard drive?

In any case, the long way you are doing it now will work, since the copies are digital, you can make an infinite amount of copies without quality loss. Just seems you are losing a +/-R disk each time you do it that way.

I would guess the program will read off the hard drive, so why not just copy from the RW to the HD and then read them from there rather than burning again.

If these are home movies, the RW discs are probably recorded in "DVD-VR mode" (Video recording), which are editable in camera, but might not work with a DVD-Video editor.

You wouldn't lose quality copying to the HDD, but you would lose quality when you "transcode" the file to DVD-Video format. (As for use on a standalone DVD player). "Video Recording" mode is nasty business, (ISO File format) not many players will read it. However, many Sony DVD players will, if the disc is finalized.

My system is the HP Pavilion a1550y. Yes, I'm using the same drive and computer for everything. This drive works fine with other programs but not this one. I just wonder if PowerDirector doesn't support dvd+rw disk. I would like to know if other people got PowerDirector to capture from a dvd+rw disk. Thanks to all of you.

Your software may not handle DVD-RW VR mode. Check you camera instructions. That should tell you more. Most people use the "Nero" suite which will convert those type files.

I have free standing Pioneer DVD recorders that have the ability to record DVD-RW-VR and DVD-Video on DVD-RW discs. But the 2 types of recording modes mix about as well as oil and water. You can't record VR mode to a non rewritable disc.

I only mentioned "home movies" so people wouldn't think I was trying to capture purchased movies. Actually, these are movies that were recorded originally onto tapes and were later put onto dvd+rw disk. The main reason I posted here was to see if there is anyone out there that is using Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 and if so, can they capture using DVD+RW dvds. Thanks to everyone for trying anyway.

Well, with the quality hit you take from recording onto VHS, I'd say home movies is an appropriate description anyway.

I still think you should check how the DVD-RWs are formatted. It is different for DVD-Video and DVD-RW. That may be the reason you have to put it to the drive first.

If you have a lot of this type of work to do, or you would like to record TV shows, then print them to DVD, a freestanding DVD recorder can be a salvation.

Record as DVD-Video in the first place, then use a program such as "Nero Recode" to snip the commercials. (Hint, if there are 6 commercial breaks, import the file six times, then trim each one to the next break). Your software would likely be able to do this also.

Back