Powering on/off

By absinthe
Sep 8, 2002
  1. I have a simple question...I've always wondered, is it better to leave your computer on all day and turn it off only at the end of the day, or turn it on when in use and off immediately after I'm done using it?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Turn it on in the morning and off at night, or when you are finished for the day.
    Sudden burst of electricity is bad for components.
    Stopping and starting of spinning parts is arguably harder on them than leaving them running.
    Warming up and cooling down of components should be minimized.

Many people I know leave their computers on ALL the time, only powering down for hardware changes or when the system locks up. Right now my computer has been on for 9 days 4 hours and 5 minutes.
    Really there are only 4 reasons I can think of to turn it off if you have adequet cooling:
    Saving electricity.
    Leaving town.
    Hardware change.
    System lock up.

Of course if you are running a 9x based OS you might want to restart more often than every 9 days because 9x doesn't manage its RAM as well as the NT versions of Windows, meaning your performance will suffer after days of opening and closing programs.
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

There are two ways to look at this...

For the enviroment - Turn it off whenever you finish using it

For your wallet - Turn it off seldomly as possible
  4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

I don't turn my computer off at all unless it is for reasons stated (hardware change, etc...) I DO ensure that I replace certain items (especially CPU fan) before they break, but other than that my machines especially the server runs 24/7.
  5. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,926   +185

Of course if you live in an area where lighting is a problem you should always disconnect your computer from the wall if you are leaving the computer...

I made a post similar to this in the distributed computing thread:

About if this is good for your CPU or not:

Well, Imagine a car engine, when you drive short intervalls and lets it cool down inbetween that's when you have the most wear... What you want to do is drive as long stretches as possible to preserve the life of the car..

This complies to CPU's to, when they got hot and cool all the time they wear faster (worst case cenario is when you turn your computer off for the night!)

So if you run this program in the background it will use all unused clock cycles, meaning that if you start a program the performance will not be slowed down due to the client, it will only use the unused clock cyles then to...

This way your CPU will always keep a certain temperature, making it live longer... The same applies to the other components in your computer to like harddrives etc, but they are harder to preserve the life on... (don't turn off your comp is the best advice..)
  6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

From Mikrosoft bCentral article:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.