Pre POST shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am helping a friend debug a frustrating PC issue. Basically, stripped down to MoBo, Proc, Memory + PCI Video card the system powers up (fans and all) for about 1 second, then shuts down. We have reset the CMOS with no affect, tried different power supplies, so it either the MB, Proc, or Memory I guess, but we don't really know what to do next.

Here are the components:

MB - Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2
CPU - AMD 2500 Barton
Memory - Patriot DDR 512MB PC2700, FSB - 333 MHz

Welcome to Techspot :) I assue you, help will come.

That sounds super super odd.. dont know why it would shut down just after 1 second. I would point to the videocard or cpu.

Have you double-checked for good thermal paste between the cpu and the HSF? Sounds like overheat protection kicking in.

Could be that CPU fan isn't connected to CPU fan power plug, and thus the mainboard thinks fan doesn't spin up, and shuts the machine down.

Most possibly what Mictlantecuhtli said. There's possibly no other reason why the computer would shut off that fast.

I don't have experience with your motherboard but I'd also check the jumpers and compare to defualts of the manual.

Check and MAKE SURE your mobo isn't touching the case. My friend had this similar problem. It would make a buzzing noise and then nothing happened.

Also, go as far as to remove everything (if your CPU has the heatsink on it, leave as is) and turn it on.

My mobo has nothing on it and it's connected to the case. Your comp can still startup but it won't do anything :p This is just to make sure your mobo is OK.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Could be that CPU fan isn't connected to CPU fan power plug, and thus the mainboard thinks fan doesn't spin up, and shuts the machine down.

On my mobo I accident unhooked the cpu fan, and forgot the rehook it back up. The computer booted up fine, the overheat protection didnt kick in into the CPU got too hot. I dont think its a heat problem, because it wouldnt shut down until it got too hot.

Wow. I can't believe how many responses we got so quickly! We tried most of what everyone suggested, and it turned out to be the Thermal Grease! He wanted to maintain returnability on the processor, so he never put the grease on it. I guess these new chips generate a ton of heat very quickly. After we added the grease it POST'ed just fine. We reset the CMOS for good measure and he is now installing the OS. Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions.
-GD

Originally posted by Glenn_Danzig
Wow. I can't believe how many responses we got so quickly! We tried most of what everyone suggested, and it turned out to be the Thermal Grease! He wanted to maintain returnability on the processor, so he never put the grease on it. I guess these new chips generate a ton of heat very quickly. After we added the grease it POST'ed just fine. We reset the CMOS for good measure and he is now installing the OS. Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions.
-GD

You better thank the heavens that you have the thermal protection on that baby. Otherwise, if it had been an older Athlon XP/mobo....You would have had one crispy paper weight....Processors can reach a couple hundred degrees in seconds without proper cooling.....

Originally posted by ---agissi---
On my mobo I accident unhooked the cpu fan, and forgot the rehook it back up. The computer booted up fine, the overheat protection didnt kick in into the CPU got too hot. I dont think its a heat problem, because it wouldnt shut down until it got too hot.
On some boards it will. Some detect whether there is a fan spinning or not, if it doesn't detect it spinning, or if the RPMs are too low, it won't boot(has nothing to do with the heat, but rather the way the protection is designed)

I agree. I have never built a machine w/o including the thermal grease, but his was missing from the install kit the store sold him, and the CPU manual said it was "recommended." I told him if a chip is burning 90W, we should probably add some grease :)

Originally posted by Glenn_Danzig
I agree. I have never built a machine w/o including the thermal grease, but his was missing from the install kit the store sold him, and the CPU manual said it was "recommended." I told him if a chip is burning 90W, we should probably add some grease :)

Yep, always, always always use thermal grease. And tell your friend, if he wants it to come off, some tissues and rubbing alchole will get the job done effortlessly.

Your very lucky the CPU didnt fry before the overheating protection could kick in,etc, since the CPU will heat up so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back