"Premium" HDMI cables are coming, certified for 4K

By Scorpus
Oct 6, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. If you want a HDMI cable that's capable of transmitting a 1080p signal, picking up a $4 cable from Amazon will probably suit you just fine. But if you're after a HDMI cable for your new 4K 60 Hz setup, there's a chance that the same $4 cable won't have enough bandwidth for the high-resolution HDMI 2.0 signal.

The high bandwidth requirements of 2160p60 is why the HDMI Licensing group are launching the Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program. As the name suggests, this program will test and certify HDMI cables at an authorized testing center to ensure they can support the 18 Gbps signal needed for HDMI 2.0, without interfering with wireless signals.

Cables that pass the testing process can feature "HDMI Premium Certified Cable" branding on their packaging, and will carry "a tamper-proof, anti-counterfeit label to differentiate them from other HDMI cables." As this is super serious business, retailers and consumers will be able to scan the label using a mobile app to verify their authenticity.

It's not completely clear how much these "premium" HDMI cables will cost, but you can be sure that they'll cost a fair bit more than your standard cheap cable from Amazon. At least with the certification process you know these cables will be capable of transmitting 18 Gbps signals, so hopefully they won't just become the next Monster Cables.

Permalink to story.

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,142   +483

Yes, because I want to pay more for a HDMI 2 cable.... ugh...
  3. RebelFlag

RebelFlag TS Addict Posts: 134   +66

So basically, prepare to be gouged. Wonderful.
  4. Icysoul

Icysoul TS Member Posts: 20   +8

DisplayPort ftw! HDMI is miles behind, anyway.
  5. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,080   +331

Lol here comes the $250 4k Monster cables no thanks.
    9Nails likes this.
  6. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 797   +217

I'll take my chances with the $5 cables that they say are 4k capable, chances are they will work with or without the fancy label and if they don't it is just $5.
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,378

Special cable, only for special people :)
  8. BigMack70

BigMack70 TS Rookie

Yeah.... no

I'm running 4k 60 Hz right now on a regular cheapo $9 HDMI cable
  9. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 939   +243

A "good" 4K cable probably only needs a large enough conductor size - no surprise, really, that a $9 cable would work.

On looking to add to the "fun" of high-cost cables, I found this on the Audioquest site
    Interestingly enough, quoting from that page
    Surprisingly, from my standpoint, the king of over-priced cables, Audioquest, is stating that no new cables are required. This seems to make this new program BS designed so that manufacturers can siphon more money for the same cables out of the pockets of their customers.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  10. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 862   +353

11. thewind

thewind TS Enthusiast Posts: 75

I already have a monster cable that's good for 8k!!!!!!! This is dumb...
  12. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

If you have an HDMI cable already, by all means TRY IT FIRST :)

You might recall that when HDMI came out, we could commonly find three classes (and prices), Good, Better, Best, but in the final analysis it was all marketing hype and the lowest priced Good was just fine for all practical intents and purposes.

But you should understand EFI, radio wave propagation and wave reflection issues (and I'll not go into depth here). Surmise it to say that as the frequency gets higher, lots of things start to have strange effects with the signals. Wave reflection (bounce back from the far end back to the source) starts to occur and even the impedance changes.

According to
    That's TWICE the frequency on the cable with 150% more data. So a true end-to-end 4k system should have more vivid color (12bits vs 8bits) and really great frame rates.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    wiyosaya and cliffordcooley like this.
  13. hrowder

hrowder TS Enthusiast Posts: 55   +9

Seriously, how is this better than display port?
  14. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

It's about Home Theater setups which use HDMI to cary both sound and video :grin:
    hrowder, wiyosaya and cliffordcooley like this.
  15. hrowder

hrowder TS Enthusiast Posts: 55   +9

Ok... I keep forgetting about the "sound thing" when it comes to HDMI.