Prepare your internet for Killzone: Shadow Fall's 50 GB download

Scorpus

Staff member

prepare killzone shadow fall sony psn download playstation ps4 playstation 4

For PlayStation 4 buyers looking to go all-digital, prepare yourself for some massive game downloads. Fergal Gara, head of Sony's UK division, has revealed in an interview with Eurogamer that launch day title Killzone: Shadow Fall will be "bloody big", coming in close to 50 GB with visuals to match its mammoth size.

While 50 GB is no problem for people buying the Blu-ray version of the game - it'll just be able to fit on a dual-layer disc - a 50 GB download is going to take quite some time, even with today's internet connections. For example, the download will take at least five hours on a maxed-out 25 Mbps connection, or 12 hours if you manage just 10 Mbps.

One way Sony is helping to curb the annoyance of waiting for such a massive download to complete is through "Play as you Download" functionality. Also seen on the Xbox One, this feature will allow you to play a portion of the game as it downloads; after the first chapter has downloaded, for example, you'll be able to jump right in while the following chapters continue to download.

Killzone: Shadow Fall isn't going to be the only game that will require a massive download this upcoming console generation. With the caliber of visuals and the scope of in-game worlds going up a notch with more powerful hardware in the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, expect game downloads to reach 30 GB+ in the coming years, including on PC.

Permalink to story.

BF3 is about 36gb and that sucks redownloading. It's actually faster packing up my PC and taking it to work and downloading it in about 15 minutes (I love T3 lines...)

Well This could actually pose an issue when you consider both next gen's only come with 500GB hard drives, 10 more killzones (well 9 if you include system files and what not) and that's it, your full, Western Digital better get crackin on making me a 2TB Black 2.5 inch drive xD

"expect game downloads to reach 30 GB+ in the coming years, including on PC." I've been expecting this for years now, but that darn Xbox with its dual layer dvds has been holding everything back, also the lack power in said console. This will be interesting for steam as well, my steam games folder is already on a 1TB all by itself and only has 169GB free. Looking forward to seeing how Killzone will look now, should be very pretty, even with a pc equivalent mid range gpu.

Pretty sure my Steam installs for Rage and Max Payne 3 already pass the 30GB line. I even called my ISP to see if they offered anything faster than the 30mb I have now for a reasonable price. Still no competition here so still no faster options.

Well, it looks like I'll be staying with discs for the near future. My ISP only provides speeds of up to 7MB in my area (although I pinged at 10mb on speedtest's dsl speed checking service).

This could actually pose an issue when you consider both next gen's only come with 500GB hard drives

Not much of a problem for PS4 users. PS4's hard drive can be manually upgraded/switched out. Xbone users cannot, so they are boned.

Just say'n.

Well This could actually pose an issue when you consider both next gen's only come with 500GB hard drives, 10 more killzones (well 9 if you include system files and what not) and that's it, your full, Western Digital better get crackin on making me a 2TB Black 2.5 inch drive xD

That's not too bad, though, right? I mean, I hardly play more than 3 to 4 games for a stretch of time, let alone 7 or 8. People may just have to be more conscious of their available space and uninstall some games every so often. Granted, that's a giant pain in the *** , not to mention the heartache of redownloading 30gb+ when you want to play the game again... but we all have to sacrifice somewhere.

This could actually pose an issue when you consider both next gen's only come with 500GB hard drives

Not much of a problem for PS4 users. PS4's hard drive can be manually upgraded/switched out. Xbone users cannot, so they are boned.

Just say'n.

Xbox One allows for an external hard drive to be plugged in, no need to even copy data off the original hard drive plus easier for most users. Either way both consoles will be fine, just need to pay a little extra to increase the space.

Lol. if I were a fan of that game (and PS4), my ISP will be having a laugh. with 10GB/month data cap for the internet plan that I can afford, I'm set for the next 5 months. :)

Xbox One allows for an external hard drive to be plugged in, no need to even copy data off the original hard drive plus easier for most users. Either way both consoles will be fine, just need to pay a little extra to increase the space.

How is it connected, via USB 2.0? So its going to be slow as molasses trying to play games off of it. The external hard drive isn't a solution to a problem that shouldn't even exist. Heck I upgraded my PS3's hard drive and used its original as an external, plan on doing the same for the PS4, if I buy one.

My crystal ball tells me that you probably don't need to worry. After all, if you can only afford a connection with a 10GB cap, then you probably can't afford new titles at launch, let alone a PS4 to play them on.

"expect game downloads to reach 30 GB+ in the coming years, including on PC." I've been expecting this for years now, but that darn Xbox with its dual layer dvds has been holding everything back.
Which is a good thing. Only ones that don't have a problem with games getting this big is people that want to and most of all can afford the fastest internet their ISP can provide, plus the best hardware, and terrabytes of HDDs. I think most of the world isn't ready for that yet.

So does that mean I'm out of luck trying to download it with my 56 K dial up modem? ;D
Your not out of luck, but it would take a little less then 2000 hours (83 days) to download 50GB at 56k. I think your modem would give out before you finish the download though.

Attempting to deliver a package of this size should make one wonder at the capability of the developers :sigh:

Attempting to deliver a package of this size should make one wonder at the capability of the developers :sigh:
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Like how much content can you pack! I wouldnt be as surprised if this download was for PC, but for PS4? Just wow...

All flash....no substance....just like with Battlefield 4 and similar games.

I'm concerned, because the 30GB+ PC downloads for Max Payne 3 and similar are for .... PC. A device with a max single-screen resolution of 2560x1600 and ability to span screens. Games must take this into account when making textures.

Next-gen consoles are max 1080p native render, so why do they need such large textures?

Back