preparing to switch to dial-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames82

i know, everybody hates dial-up, but my roadrunner trial for $30/month is about to expire, and it's not worth $45 to continue.
i just wanted to be prepared, as best i can, for the transition to dial-up. any advice that anybody can give me, who has also made this transition would be welcome. i know that it will be slow.
will i have to use netzero, people pc, earthlink, or aol? the company that i will get the dial-up from is going to be verizon.
i have a compaq presario with XP, and 256 ram.
kaspersky AV
kerio 2.1.5
i don't use any real-time antispyware.

is there a danger of "timing out"

thanks.

Your best bet is either Net Zero or People PC. Those two companies have the highest speeds rated for dial up. That and its only 9.95 a month! lol

Maybe this is a dumb question, totally unrealated to you dial-up question. But if you are already paying $30 a month, why not go for a low speed DSL instead of dial-up. When I first got DSL it was the very lowest, cheapest deal that bellsouth had and I think it was $32 a month. It was slow but still alot faster than dial-up.

I agree dial up is ok for like checking your mail (if you have no attachments) other then that its bad, just think about that first windows 40 meg up date at dial up speed. :p I think you would be better of staying with Broadband. As for getting ready for it, all I can say is SloooooooooooooW hehehehe.

the biggest reason for getting dial-up is the unlimited local phone. if the computer works at all, it will be a fringe benefit.
when it comes time for the update, i will leave and it will be finished by the time i return.

thanks for the replies.

with dsl, there is no unlimited local phone, which is the main reason that i am interested in dial-up.

my father had dial up. When he crashed his computer due to a virus and I had to rebuild it - it took THREE days to download updates via dial up. Last time I went home and I told pop to get low-speed DSL (Still significantly faster than dial up). He got it. It cost the SAME price as dial up. It only took me 2 hours to rebuild his system recently.

i think dsl is strictly internet. no phone. the phone is essential.

hope you stay safe over there.

thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back